VFD for a Millrite

rebush

Active User
Registered
I'm not good with electronics or wiring. 6-12 volt DC yes everything else no. The motor on the Millrite is 110/220 a electrician I know is going to wire it 220 for me (I keep his old BMW motorcycle running he does my electrical work). It's a belt drive is it possible to add VFD or some type of speed control to my mill. I normally run about 1160 rpm. Could run faster for brass and aluminum, just too lazy to change pulleys. It's a real pain when I want to use the co-ax indicator. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If this has been covered in another post please point me in that direction. Thanks. Roger

Your voltage specifications seems to indicate that you have a single phase motor, so I don't think a VFD will work with it.

Greg

Yes, VFD's are for 3-Phase motors. Can give us more data or post a picture of the data plate on the motor

Kennyd: My mill is single phase. Are there any speed control options available? I can barely read the data plate on the motor with a flashlight and a magnifying glass, I don't believe taking a picture would be of any use. I am going to post some pictures of my shop as soon as my friend who knows all thinks computer can give me a hand. She already set my camera up for the size picture that is accepted. I took a bunch of pictures and now we wait till she has time to stop by. Not good at computers or electrical things are you starting to see a pattern. I'm great at "old school" type things, modern technology left me in the dust. Roger

Most Millrite owners are wanting to go the other way, 3-ph to 1-ph.
Maybe you could arrange a motor swap on the Burke Mills Yahoo group

You might want to consider replacing your single phase motor with a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Used three phase motors can be found for not much money. I hooked up my drill press this way - works great!

Greg

Yes, like AR and Wade suggested changing the motor would be the best way. There are no other viable/practical solutions for single phase motors.

Charley: Here's a picture of my mill. It's a Millrite on a rolling base. As you can see I need to move it to use the Atlas. I posted pictures in the Show us you're Shop thread.

rogershopsmall 002.JPG rogershopsmall 003.JPG

Back