VFD for Emco Maximat V13 lathe

Horatiomarmaduke

Registered
Registered
Hi, I am new here, but thought the group may be interested in my recent experience in fitting a VFD to this lathe. I wanted to achieve a few things in doing this. Firstly, while the lathe is in good order, it has a nasty slap when it starts due to taking up the the spur gear drive backlash. I wanted a soft start to remove this to reduce wear on the machine. Secondly, I wanted to reduce stopping time as my lathe does not have the brake motor. Next I wanted to operate the VFD via the existing apron forward/reverse/start lever with a simple speed control potentiometers and RPM readout. Finally I wanted to run to slightly higher speed, say 2500 rpm for insert tip tools. If there is interest in the details of how I did this, please let me know. Cheers

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Yes, details with pictures are always encouraged on any project (successful or not) ;) We're all here to learn from each other.

John

There has been a lengthy discussion re fitting a VFD to a Maximat Super 11 on the Yahoo V10 mailing list recently.
I like the idea of controls mounted on the carriage. I'd like to see more.

Welcome from a emco v13 owner who also has a vfd on his lathe.

Any updates? I'm needed to set up a VFD on my V13 pretty soon.

My V13 has the milling attachment, not too sure if that will mater for the VFD.

Last edited:
I've done more research on VFD's and I went with two VFD's as the two motors are too different to utilize the same VFD.

I went with TECO A510 units (1HP and 3HP)

In the next week or two I plan on wiring it up.

Back