VFD for Mill

I'm going to differ to somebody else on your motor wires. I *think* just wire the VFD outs to one set or the other. It won't hurt to try. I'll guess one set is "lo" and the other is "hi"

There are several ways to wire your control. lets decide exactly what you want. My favorite method is to have a start and Estop for the whole machine. Push the big red stop button and kill everything. If you have nothing else like power feed, coolant, etc. you may not feel this is necessary. I spent too many years as a corporate slave where this is required on all machines. Any fool knew how to turn off any machine as they all had this.

For the VFD driving the spindle, I like a three position rotary switch, left is CCW, center is off, right is CW. really handy if you want to do things like power tapping. A plus, this is easy to wire with no additional relays needed.

Or we could have a start CW, a start CCW, and a stop button.

Or we could have a rotary switch for CW or CCW, a start and a stop button.

All of the above use a pot for speed control

I'll be glad to walk you through any of these options. Do you read ladder logic?

I'll be glad to walk you through any of these options. Do you read ladder logic?

No but if you hum a few bars I might be able too................... :cower:

In reality all this VFD stuff is interesting to me and I enjoy reading these threads.

Thanks Karl; I did find a label on the back of the elec motor cover (imagine that), might be what I'm looking for. Mark mentioned using the 4P side for the 1720, or low side. Still confused about that. Ladder logic? Googled it, I don't think so, but I'm open to most anything new to learn.
. IMG_0737.JPG

I assume 2p means 2 pole and 4P means 4 pole. If so, the 4P connection is low speed. If i understand this correctly, hook your R S T terminals from the VFD to U1 V1 and W1. Do NOT bond U1 V1 and W1 together.

I actualy read your reference. It says how to do itCapture.JPG

So the motor would be run on 4P with connections to U1, V1 and W1 and no connection to U2, V2 and w2. This is based on the cover diagram, the manual is attached. The maximum frequency could be either 100 or 120Hz if you need maximum speed. Please specify which VFD you are or plan to use and I can guide you to 3 wire logic connections. I have attached some picture diagrams as to some suggestions. Basic 3 wire should work, the WJ200 has some added features so there are some other inputs that can be used.

OK, just saw you ordered the ESV152N02YXB so the diagram above is for 2 wire, let me look at the manual for 3 wire control.

JTM-1 2 Speed motor wiring.jpg

On this VFD, the logic control is a bit different. All three are momentary buttons in the first, the second should also work which uses a maintained switch for reverse. This is not in the manual, but pased on the manual programming parameters.

3 wire Lenze.jpg

Attachments

• VFD Mill CONNECTIONS for 3 wire rev date 21 FEB 2017.pdf
    656.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Jet JTM-1 mill manual EN.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I must have did something right, powered up and did some basic parameters. I'm still waiting on some control cable for the remote before I do anything on the terminal strip. P108, Motor Overload, since I have a two speed motor and running it on the low side, which amp rating should I use? 5.6 or 6.2 for my %, I currently set it for 80% (low side) and I think the 6.2 came out to 87% or there abouts. I did have a little motor noise and changed the Carrier Frequency, P166 from 4kHz to 6kHz and seem to help. No chips yet, will wait till install is complete. Before I forget, Thank You all for your assistance!! these VFD's are pretty cool

You have more torque in Lo, that's why it is suggested. You are good for the higher amps - 6.2

Not sure what I did wrong, but now I'm confused. The remote box that I'm using has (Start Button-normally open, Stop Button- normally closed, 2 position Forward/Reverse switch- normally open, and a POT) and there is a picture of it in a previous post. This is what it is doing; Press start with switch in FWD- good, Press Stop - good, Switch to REV - starts in REV without pressing start and while running I switch to FWD - continues running in REV, also while running in REV, stop button does nothing but pressing the start button it Stops? The tech at MWA told me to use this to wire it up http://www.wolfautomation.com/media.../actech-smvect-nemafourx/actech-smvwiring.pdf but I went wrong somewhere.

first off, exactly which page did you wire it to? The closest I see is two wire forward/reverse with speed pot. If you are using this one you'll need a latching relay on your stop/start buttons. As this VFD has many wiring options, lets be sure we are on the same page before going farther. I am looking at this oneCapture.JPG

MKSJ posted another option, look back a few posts. this one needs no latching relay. If you are wiring that method, there will be programming parameter changes to the VFD.

Last edited:
Back