VFD for my mill

I had one ordered, but got a email saying it was out of stock. 3-4 month lead time, maybe!

GS21-23PO ordered!
Time to do some homework, and ask questions!

I also used a Hitachi WJ-200 on my lathe because I wanted more advanced controls. I am also running my mill on a home brew RPC and will convert it to a VFD some day. My mill already has a split phase two speed motor on it which is pretty handy so I am not in a huge rush to do so.

Besides the Hitachi's I also have Fuji, Allen Bradley, Yakasawa, Mitsubishi and a few Chinese imports. For simple controls (forward, reverse, speed) I really can't tell the difference between the cheap Chinese VFD's and the brand name ones once they are installed. The brand name ones DO usually come with MUCH better documentation and some, like the Hitachi's, can be programmed via USB and a Laptop.

I typically recommend 3 wire control with momentary buttons for stop and run, and a sustained FOR (no connection) or Reverse (connects to the 3rd input). Also Automation Direct has some the GS20 series which are easy to setup. If you have a question on parameters, I can give you a hand.
Anything you might have that would apply to my application would be much appreciated. All the info you've posted made my lathe conversion possible!

I have an L510 installed on my mill and built a control pendant for it. Something like that should work on the VFD you ordered as well. It uses the three wire control method with a rocker switch for forward and reverse and a potentiometer for speed control. I have a jog switch, but haven’t used it yet, so would probably eliminate that if I needed to build another one.

Attachments

• 73E5BEF2-067C-4646-8F57-38A5B3770494.jpeg
    73E5BEF2-067C-4646-8F57-38A5B3770494.jpeg
    971.3 KB · Views: 12
Here is another try. I do not know anything about this company but they say they have lots of the Hitachi VFD in stock. They give a phone number.

The Hitachi WJ200-022SF-CP are fanless/finless and made to be mounted with conductive heat transfer compound to a large metal plate/heat sink to dissipate the heat, they cannot be used in routine electrical cabinets without ancillary cooling systems. A few people who contacted me made the mistake in ordering this one and returned it.

Information sent on the GS20/21 which he purchased.

@mksj
Thanks. Nice to know. I did not see this difference as an option in the manual. I wondered why it was less money. However, that seems to be a big difference for just the heat sink and the fan. Maybe there are other differences.

I'm finally getting back to this install and have already run into a snag. I tested the drive with just minimal programming using the drive keypad and everything seems to be working as it should. My issue is using the "3 wire control". When I program parameter 2.00 to either function 3 or 6, my push buttons aren't operating the drive at all. Am I missing a parameter that needs programed?

Back