VFD - GS2 programming issue

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am having a brain fart, this should be EASY.

Got a small 1750 rpm motor running on an Automation Direct GS2 VFD.

I want to use the keypad speed pot and set min speed to 15hz or 450RPM and max speed to 30 hz or 900 rpm. I am getting errors trying to set P0.04 for max rpm. Also tried P2.06 for min freq and get an error there too. Decided to quit trying and read the manual but that didn't help

Right now its all connected and running fine but I got 0 - 60 hz on the pot.

I would take a look at page 4-34 through 4-39 of the manual which sets the set points and gain of the speed pot with minimum and maximum frequency. Also the direction
P4.02 would be 25% should give a start frequency of 15 Hz
P4.03 would be 50% should give an end frequency of 30 Hz
This assume the maximum frequency is set to 60Hz and minimum is set to 0.

There is also P6.15 and P6.16 which set the upper and lower bound of the frequencies, but not the linearity/range of the speed pot.

One other comment is that you need to set the source of the speed control P4.00 = 00, see page 3-9 for settings.
Mark

Last edited:
OK, set p4.02 to 25 and p4.03 to 50.
No joy, still goes 0 - 60 hz on pot.

set p6.15 to 30 and p6.16 to 15.
Got part way max speed is 30 hz. min is still 0

p4.00 is 00

There is a great thread on cnczone.com

Title says Chinese VFD but there is a major contributor on that thread that will help with anything.

I got some very valuable info on two different VFD I have. Got a rundown on every parameter and why not just one thing.

Worth the free forum join to ask your exact question to a super genius (At least he was for me)

P6.16 should set the lower bound, but this is an older VFD and somewhat quirky and limited as to adjustments. One could change the V/Hz parameters P2.00 "03" custom and then go into P2.04-P2.07, but not sure how this would effect things. You are basically setting the starting point for the minimum V/Hz and also need to set the mid-point. I normally use the preset patterns. On other VFD's you can adjust the min/max points and the response to a speed pot and/or do some summation of speed inputs.

If you could get access to the panel speed pot you could just add a fixed resistor to the low end input of the speed pot. May be more trouble than it is worth.

Played a bit more this A.M. no joy. Decided more trouble than its worth. I was just trying to idiot proof the speed pot for low end. And yep, I've used this type VFD a lot in other applications where there is always a panel potentiometer - just add a resistor has been the solution.

Anyway, I build a Victorio food strainer on steroids for Milady. We do a LOT of home canning and preserving. 40 years ago I put a pulley on one, got a fan blower motor and made a plywood box to hold the thing together. After all this time it looked NASTY. Time to upgrade.

I found a 3 phase motor in the scrap pile and had an old 110 VFD from a project where I had decided to upgrade to 220. Cut up a bunch of scrap sheet aluminum and ended up with this. There is a guard sitting to the side in one pic so she cannot get her fingers in the belt pulley area. FYI, only the base of the strainer is on for this pic

Victorio strainer rightt.jpgVictorio strainer left.jpg

Last edited:
Local craigslist free treadmill... D/C power and variable.

Back