[How do I?] VFD help

Pro70z28

Registered
Registered
I've had this CNC router for many years. I have a 3hp 3ph Perske spindle that was powered by a woods inverter. After 20 years the Woods inverter gave up. I looked at the Vector Control HUANYANG GT-Series (220V, 4.0KW). I wanted the low RPM control of the vector control and the price looked good so I bought one. It's a little more than the Perske needs, but I was told oversized is better than undersized..? The problem I'm having is setting up the parameters. I've loaded all the information from the Perske motor plate, but I get no response out of the motor. It's suppose to flash end when the spindle information is entered, but no such luck. I've entered
Motor Rated Power
Fequency
Rated Speed
Voltage
Rated Current.
Then from what I understand auto tune takes that info and does an auto tune to calculate the parameters of the motor? The directions say the keypad will display (TUN-O) and (TUN=1) during auto tune and when the auto tune is finished the keypad will display -END-. None of that happens, it just defaults back to (P-off) and I'm back to square one. Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't have the first clue what that could be.
I admit Electronics is far from my first language. The woods unit was a work horse, never giving me any problems, well, until it did, so any knowledge from setting that up some 20 years ago is just dead brain cells by now.

Another problem I can't seem to get around is this unit is set up for 50hz. I need it set at 60hz for USA but I'm striking out trying to find the right function keys.
Any help would be a great stress reliever at this point. Thanks.

Perske Motoe Plate.jpg

Spindle capacitor 2 copy.jpg

Spindle capacitor 3.jpg

I have a HY VFD, not the same sires a yours but looks to be similar. My manual says the input frequency 47-63 Hz., I don't recall having to set it either (that doesn't mean I didn't ). From what I understand VFDs take the incoming AC and rectify it to DC then "chop" it back up into the required AC phases, so I think the exact input frequency may not be relevant, as long as its in range.
I do recall having a hard time getting it to run initially. I think I had to set the run/stop control parameters and output frequency range as they were off by default.

Thanks for the reply Eddyde. I've been using the autotuning directions, P2.01 thru P2-05. Maybe I should try the Detailed functions section further back in the manual?

I had the same issues a while back. I bought a Teco VFD for my mill. After getting it wired up it would not run the motor.
This was supposed to have a startup default to initially run. After a couple hours of hair pulling, I started checking each parameter from 01-01. I found 2 of them that were not correct. After changing them to the right setting it worked.
Joe Hynes

Thanks for the reply Eddyde. I've been using the autotuning directions, P2.01 thru P2-05. Maybe I should try the Detailed functions section further back in the manual?
Yep, that's what I would try. Set all the relevant parameters manually.

The auto-tune does not set the typical motor parameters, you must set those for the motor to function. Auto-tune measures specific dynamic motor functions like the motor coil resistance, mH and other motor constants. It is typically done with no load on the motor. Review how to program the VFD and make sure the parameters are entered by rechecking them. Usually when you make any parameter change there is an enter key to make the parameter stick, for the HY it is DAT/ENT. You also need to change a number of the VFD parameters, I have attached some suggested changes as a starting point. Check these against your VFDs programing parameters, things like the base frequency are not 60Hz, it is 360Hz for this motor. Although the HY are inexpensive, they can be challenging sometimes and there is typically no technical support.

Attachments

• Lathe HY VFD Operator Code Perske.pdf
    418.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Huanyang VFD Manual - GT Series .pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
I didn't have time to go out to the shop tonight, but I did look through the manual a little. The procedure for inputting the nameplate information is the same in the detailed section as it is in the autotune section in the front. So, I'm guessing I'll have the same results. The only possibility I see is I've made an error while inputting the nameplate info? It might take awhile to check it out (customer stuff comes first) but I'll recheck everything and see what happens. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

Is there a good summary on VFDs and different motors somewhere? I've been thinking of upgrading the spindle on my Grizzly, mostly to get the ability to adjust it from the CNC program, not higher spindle speeds.

Well I think, hope, there may be a solution for this delema. I lettered a truck yesterday for an electrical contractor and I thought..... Enough of this wasting time on my own, and I asked them if they could help me out. Got a guy coming over at 9am tomorrow. A man's gotta' know his limitations. ;)

Update. The electrician stopped by this morning. After 45 min or so, he said he was out of ideas. Back to square 1.
I have all the motor plate information inputted correctly, verified by the electrician. I can turn the potentiometer knob and get a reading of 0 thru 10, but no power to the output terminals.
Also, I never got the "END" message the manual says I should get once I have the parameters set. Any Ideas what I may have missed.

This is the unit I'm dealing with, driving a 3hp 3ph Perske spindle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077KT1Q6B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Back