Vfd info

L

Lordbeezer

Forum Guest
Register Today
Picked up a Lear Siegler inc vfd..model VS225..new in box..wiring diagram approved in 63..shows 115v input..output field and arm ..guessing this is for dc motor?? Would it work for permanent magnet dc.? Thanks for looking

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's a variac type control and probably for a motor rated less than 1/4 HP. For a power feed or some similar usage it would be fine, but
for a lathe I'm not sure.
Mark S.
ps is there a circuit board over on the right side? Can we see a picture of that? I don't see any rectifier
diodes in there

Last edited:
Looking at what we can read on a phone of the schematic, it has connections for both field and armature.

So it seems this was to control a non - inductive motor rather one with a commutator or brushes as it is expecting an armature with a set of windings.

A universal motor fits this bill but the overall size of the device supports estimating a small motor.

Look for a fuse some place or a nomenclature tag indicating capacity in hp or current.

If only a fuse can be found then take 1/2 that value in amps and multiply by the listed 115 volts to get watts then divide that by 745 to get hp rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Don't see a circuit board..fuse on lid has no numbers.fuse inside is 250 v..buss acc 1..is this for ac or dc motor. Thanks for your time

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just for fun, I did a little playing with the image of the schematic ...
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 2.17.33 PM.jpg

Been doing the goggle thing..still don't know if this for small ac or dc motor.hate to burn it up trying motors..thanks

Howzabout you plug it in, turn it to "forward," give the Variac about 1/10 of a turn, and check across either the "field" or "arm" terminals with a DVM - first set to DC volts, then to AC. One or the other should give you a reading. This will be safe enough for the controller and should at least get you started.

Arm output..on dc voltage goes up as knob is turned smoothly up to 120 ..on ac very low kinda jumps around..field jumps around ac or dc doesn't go over 44 v. Thanks

Will assume fuse is on line input so 1 amp at 115 (op stated labeled voltage) then 115 watts maximum capacity but assuming some starting loads then assume motor size maybe 80 watts or maybe 1/10 hp.

Likely for a small sewing machine size motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Would you think this is for dc motor? Have a Baldor gear motor would like to use for power feed on enco 110 mill..thanks

Back