VFD Install Help For The Electrically Challenged

Ironside

Registered
Registered
I should start out by saying that I'm actually a pretty "handy" guy, and I'm talented in a lot of ways. But "all things electrical" are just not my thing. Never have been, never will be. I avoid the stuff like the plague. I am now at a crossroads, and will have to deal with this stuff head on. I bought a super nice, low mileage South Bend 9A a while back, and I'm finally getting around to getting it up and running. It has the original GE 220 Volt 3 phase 1/2 HP motor on it. At first, I intended to swap out the motor for a single phase 110 motor, and avoid the electrical stuff altogether, but after reading many threads on here, as well as talking with a few fellow hobby machinists that I know, I've decided to utilize the benefits of the 3 phase motor with VFD.

I have already purchased a Teco L510 unit in the correct configuration that I need. My goal is to stash the VFD in a safe, out of the way location, and run a remote panel that will have a on/off switch, POT, and Tach on it. Of course this choice complicates things even further than just a basic VFD install. My 9A is a cabinet/underdrive configuration, and I've considered the possibility of keeping the factory FWD/REV/OFF switch if possible. I have a friend who is pretty good with electric, and I've had him bail me out of some electrical stuff in the past. I'm sure he'd be willing to help me get through this. What I really need to know from some of you people with past experience, is what specific components that I need to buy to complete this project, such as what POT, tach, etc. I'd like to have everything purchased and ready to install when I finally get him to stop by and help me wire this up. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Automation direct has these:
forward off reverse I used GCX1300, Pot I used ECX2300-5k.
From Amazon: I used Digiten 4 digital tachometer w. / proximity switch.
Contributor MKSJ has complete lists and sources for everything you need, also.

You might be able to power the tach unit from the VFD- you'll have to check the manuals- otherwise I believe you will need a small "wall-wart" or similar small dc supply to run it., probably 12 volts
You should be able to re-use your existing reversing switch- It would be a good idea to thoroughly clean the contacts since it will be carrying only a very small current and small amounts of dirt or grease can prevent proper operation with a VFD; a switch carrying large currents is more immune
Mark

I should start out by saying that I'm actually a pretty "handy" guy, and I'm talented in a lot of ways. But "all things electrical" are just not my thing. Never have been, never will be. I avoid the stuff like the plague. I am now at a crossroads, and will have to deal with this stuff head on. I bought a super nice, low mileage South Bend 9A a while back, and I'm finally getting around to getting it up and running. It has the original GE 220 Volt 3 phase 1/2 HP motor on it. At first, I intended to swap out the motor for a single phase 110 motor, and avoid the electrical stuff altogether, but after reading many threads on here, as well as talking with a few fellow hobby machinists that I know, I've decided to utilize the benefits of the 3 phase motor with VFD.

I have already purchased a Teco L510 unit in the correct configuration that I need. My goal is to stash the VFD in a safe, out of the way location, and run a remote panel that will have a on/off switch, POT, and Tach on it. Of course this choice complicates things even further than just a basic VFD install. My 9A is a cabinet/underdrive configuration, and I've considered the possibility of keeping the factory FWD/REV/OFF switch if possible. I have a friend who is pretty good with electric, and I've had him bail me out of some electrical stuff in the past. I'm sure he'd be willing to help me get through this. What I really need to know from some of you people with past experience, is what specific components that I need to buy to complete this project, such as what POT, tach, etc. I'd like to have everything purchased and ready to install when I finally get him to stop by and help me wire this up. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I installed an L510 on my drill press. I even made a YouTube video that will give you an idea of what's involved. DO NOT switch the connection between the VFD and the motor. Wire up to the control inputs for forward/reverse/off. You have a lot of options. What you do NOT have is the option of adding an external braking resistor, so you will be limited in how quickly you can stop the chuck. I put a Fuji on my Clausing 8520 for just that reason. I just had it hanging on the wall in the video, but I've mounted it in a nice enclosure since then.

-Jon

I also used the teco l510 on my lathe mill and surface grinder. A Great vfd but you will need to use a wall wart or such to power your tach. Vfd control circuit outputs do not supply power to devices. And their are other ways to get dc power depending how you do your control panel.

Make a frame under lathe that uses the existing bolts for chip tray.

On this frame mount enclosure for BED.

rewire drum switch to remove cross connects so it is 3 separate switches.

Bend contacts on ONE so it ALWAYS makes before other 2 when switch operated.

This set is for STOP which is normal closed

Wire others for run and reverse.

Foot bar is stop switch

What looks like light switch is 20 amp rated switch for main disconnect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
9e6de2fc816d59db222cc8916a95dc33.jpg
7764e79a8d2a6ac4aa81f15cdf469804.jpg
af235d99d6ac1d679ce7b9367a3757a6.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice setup, TQ-
what is the meter monitoring?
Mark

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have ordered all of the parts that I need. I'll give it a shot when I have everything here.

The AB VFD has a real cool interlock system where secondary units can slave from a master.

They communicate via a 20 ma signal circuit and it can be set to frequency or power indication.

This one is set to frequency so straight up is near 60 Hz and it varies up and down as the pot is changed.

Results of being pack rat...had the meter for years and stumbled upon it while looking for other materials for the lathe.
Very nice setup, TQ-
what is the meter monitoring?
Mark

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back