Vfd Installed, Lathe Up & Running :)

Yes he is, he is a genius with these setups. He makes ME jealous of the way you guys have these machines set up, and I sell the machines! That proximity sensor is the best thing I've ever seen on a lathe for threading up to shoulders, or anything where you need to stop like that. No question about it!

Did you make the proximity sensor? Could you post more detail about it?

The proximity sensor was all Marks idea. He would be the one to quiz up on it.
I made a short video demonstrating the accuracy of it this morning. That thing is amazing!
I'll try to do another/better video up later on threading with it.

Hi Lonnie,

It all turned out very nice, you did a great install job! The proximity sensor is a PNP type electronic switch that works like an E-Stop, and needs to be used with a VFD system with braking to achieve the optimum accuracy. This particular P sensor has a higher frequency rate and is also shielded, it performs better than expected when you look at the accuracy when doing repetitive cuts/threading. Really takes the worry out of the machine stopping at a particular point, and is very easy to set. It works as part of a total VFD system and programming parameters on the VFD, and what is more impressive is that it is done with the stock motor. The newer designed control system are adaptable to most lathes and VFDs that support an external braking resistor, a schematic and parts list is attached. There is a similar home built system without the P sensor on a G4003G lathe. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/g4003g-going-3-ph-vfd.34549/page-2

Very pleased with how the system works, and the additional operator safety component.
Regards,
Mark

Attachments

• Lonnie VFD Schematic with external 24VDC PS Jog rev date 3-10-2016.pdf
    907.7 KB · Views: 265
Nice control panel.

Would you care to enumerate the controls? Obviously on the far left is the speed control, followed by the master switch. Then two small toggle switched and a joystick. And finally the eStop.

It's the function of the two small toggle switches and the joystick the have me puzzled. I'm guessing at coolant, direction, jog, etc. but would like to put the correct names on the correct switches.

Thanks,
Arvid

I am puzzled by those switches and the joystick also. I too would love to understand their purpose.

Nice control panel.

Would you care to enumerate the controls? Obviously on the far left is the speed control, followed by the master switch. Then two small toggle switched and a joystick. And finally the eStop.

It's the function of the two small toggle switches and the joystick the have me puzzled. I'm guessing at coolant, direction, jog, etc. but would like to put the correct names on the correct switches.

Thanks,
Arvid

The front control panel works like this;
Starting on the left, obviously that's the speed control. The next blue switch is the coolant on/off.
The top small toggle switch is the braking rate of the lathe when I disengage the clutch. Braking times are 3 second when it's up or 1 second when it's down.
The bottom small toggle is the proximity sensor bypass switch. I use that to over-ride the proximity sensor, so I can reverse the carriage without having to disengage the half nut, for metric threading.
The big toggle switch is the jog function, up for forward and down for reverse.
Last button, E-stop.

I will be marking these control switches, I just haven't got around to it yet.

Nicely thought through and laid out. :)

I have a Fwd/Rev switch for my jog button and really like that for tapping or sneaking up on a shoulder. I really should learn how to use the clutch so I can set a hard stop. :rolleyes:

I also have two-stage braking: 1 sec. is used for 900 rpm and below, 3 sec (maybe 4?) for above that. It takes a WHOLE bunch of energy to stop a 80 lb. chuck spinning at 2000+ rpm... :eek: I don't typically run my lathe that fast, but do on occasion.

Back