Vfd On A Logan 8 Shaper

bosephus

Registered
Registered
at the moment this is just abstract thinking on my part , i am mostly just wondering if anyone has put a vfd on a shaper before along with how you did it and what you would change if doing it over again .

now with that said , my little Logan has a reeves drive for the variable speed , it works just fine and other then needing taken apart to install a new belt in the near future it has no obvious problems .

except it is a reeves drive and like all reeves drives when they get a little wear they start to get noisy .
i like to think mine is moderately quiet compared to others i have heard , but coupled with a kinda noisy single phase motor it puts out enough noise that its a bit annoying .
maybe not so much annoying as just loud enough to make my already limited hearing useless for anything but hearing the reeves drive .

i do already have a nice quiet three phase motor and a vfd , and it looks like a fairly simple change over .
ie .. simply remove the reeves drive leave the motor in the stock location and fit a new belt to the jack shaft on the shaper .

so yea , if you have any input on pro's or cons or anything lets hear it .

Back