VFD on light

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have some 12v led small diameter lights, or I can just buy whatever I need. I left the VFD power switch on, and I would like to drill, and install a light on the cabinet to indicate the power is on. What to I need, and what terminals do I use? The search function using light, and VFD in the terms seems to bring up a lot of hits :)

Hitachi WJ200, sorry, I'm tired today :)

Spent the last few minutes scrolling until I found the pin out guide as there was no index. Before looking any further i noticed that there was a USB port on the front face. Just plug in USB night light or smart phone charger, something free around with an led between 5v and ground. Like any computer, it will only provide power to the usb if the device is on.

The few VFDs I've any experience with include a +V terminal for low voltage DC controls. You could probably connect an LED lamp across this terminal and ground.

UPDATE, based on the manual that @Alexander McGilton supplied a link to. Here are some screenshots from the manual:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.00.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.03.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 2.58.58 PM.jpg

You can connect an LED, with current limiting resistor, between terminals P24 and L. As for the resistor value, you'd want something like 2K ohms for red, yellow or green LEDs, probably 1K ohm for a blue or white LED. LEDs draw something like 20mA, so you'll be well below the 100mA limit of the P24 terminal.

PS - just in case you're not familiar with LEDs ... no worries. Connect the LED and resistor in series, then connect the "outer" leads across the terminals. If it doesn't light, simply reverse the terminal connections. Connecting backward will not harm either the LED or the power supply.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I'll go check.

I would suggest you put a light on the front of your VFD enclosure, I would use the 220/240VAC single phase from the switch to the input of the VFD and just wire that to an indicator light. Alternative would be a 24V LED lamp wired from the P24 to the L wires on the VFD low voltage inputs. It must be a 24V LED lamp, incandescent can draw too much current if using the VFD low voltage internal power supply.
220V AC LED Pilot Panel Indicator Light

24V LED indicator

Thank you Mark.

Back