VFD on/off switch questions

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,

Looking for guidance on installing an external two button on/off switch with my VFD stop/start switch to operate themTECO 510 VFD I installed on my three phase pedestal grinder. The VFD works fine, but does not respond to stop/start commands from the switch. So I don't know if my wiring configuration is wrong (highly probable) or I am missing some secret set up parameter that TECO doesn't want me to know about-or both.

Can anybody suggest what I should correct or do differently?

Here is the switch and the wiring configuration I set up. The black lead is connected to the S1 terminal (4th terminal) on the TECO 510, and the 'power' side of the switch. The red lead connects to comm and the 'line' side of the switch. This gives me a 24v reading on my ohm meter across the terminals when I press the start button, and 0.0 v D.C. When I depress the stop button. But no response from the VFD.
IMG_4470.JPGIMG_4469.JPGIMG_4468.JPG

I set the parameters according to the manual for a two button on/off switch as follows:

00-04 [1]
03-00 [0]
03-01 [1]

My second basic question is - how should I read this wiring diagram properl? It the TECO manual shows the stop and start terminal leads all apparently jumpered together - into one continuous circuit leading from the S1 terminal in a loop through the switch, back into the 'com' terminal on the VFD?

IMG_1733.JPG
This doesn't make any sense, as I am confused by what COM actually is/does.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Glenn

Last edited:
3 wire control needs to be 00-04 [2] from the text in the example,
COM supplies or sinks the power to or from the S1, S2, S3 depending on the power supply. Most likely supplying +24 volts for the circuit.
Pushing the start button turns on S1 which starts the drive until the power is removed from S2 by pushing the stop button. This works like a typical 3 wire start/stop on a motor starter with a latching contact.
S3 selects fwd/rev depending on whether or not the switch is on or off.

Last edited:
Jim, thanks. I did just set 00-04 to [2] and still nothing happened. E.g. The switch did not turn the VFD on or off.

Also it looks like, in your description, I should add a connection between s2 and a stop button terminal?

Actually I am confused still about what is the correct wiring for the switch. It has two buttons, each with two terminals. Are anymod,these four terminals jumpered to another part of the switch?

Thanks mich
Glenn

Com means common it’s the common wire in the Circuit from the diagram you posted you need 3 wires to the switch(s) not counting the ground common is normally black(com) white(S1) red(S2 ) as far as wiring I’m sure there are several different ways but the diagram posted and the switch you have should be wired something like this (you might want to ohm your switches and make sure the stop is normally closed and the start is normally open)

1BCD43CC-3E87-401E-9914-52EC1CF9A2F6.jpeg

Looks to me like the wire you have is only a 2 conductor (we don’t count the ground as a conductor) you can use the ground as a conductor just to test it and see if it works out black as com red as S1 and green as S2 if you don’t have a 4 conductor laying around

Is that switch a toggle switch? If it is you'll have to use the two wire control diagram.

The diagram posted the start stop station needs to be momentary contacts in order to work

You are use a single maintained switch in a 3 wire configuration, which would need another momentary switch to make it run. The diagram above might also work, but is not correct for 3 wire. If you are only using the grinder in one direction, then I would use 2 wire control. This means when input 1 (Positive terminal) is connected to the COM (Negative terminal) it completes the circuit and the VFD will run forward, break the connection and it stops. You only need 2 wires, no ground, it is all low voltage DC and almost no current.
Teco L510 2 wire.jpgSwitch.jpg
When using 2 wire control you need to make the following program changes:
00-02 is set to 1: External Run Stop
03-00 is set to 0: Forward/Stop Command
03-01 is set to 1: Reverse/Stop Command

I think that switch is push on - push off. It's a single phase motor start switch.

Back