[How-To] VFD on PM 1440TL

Cubmadein49

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Need help on wiring a Hitachi WJ200 vfd to a PM 1440TL so I can use the controls on the lathe to operate all functions.

This may get you started. Welcome aboard!

@Cubmadein49

This was my approach to my 1440GT VFD conversion (Hitachi WJ200 vfd, 3HP). I documented both the original wiring as well as my new VFD wiring. You will find them as attachments as well as a number of photos etc. But since the design uses solid state rather than the relays come with the machine it means that some folks, who do not understand circuits so well, may find it to be more difficult to understand....but I tried to explain the circuit operation in the documentation. One big advantage of this approach is that the whole conversion fits inside the stand of the 1440GT where the relays are currently located (no external boxes). Another potential advantage is the noise created via the VFD switching is shielded very well by the metal cabinet. The design includes every standard and optional feature I could think of then or now. If you have any questions or comments I am happy to entertain them. If you do not want all of the options you can just leave them out.

VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

Good luck.

Dave L.

Back