VFD on PrecisionMatthews PM-935TS

Ted J.

Registered
Registered
Hi folks:
I'm new to the reflector, so my apologies if this is an oft-repeated question.
My PM-935TS mill showed up this month, and I'm learning a bit about adding a VFD to this.

I expect to use the Hitachi WJ200-022sf.

I need an enclosure (with adequate space as per the VFD's manual), correct?

Should I use the existing REV/STOP/FOR switch on the mill, and add to this a speed potentiometer?
(such as a 10K one turn pot kit)?

Or should the existing switch be replaced with a new unit, say an FMX unit at one of the on-line distributors with an
EMER STOP/ FOR-REV / 10K pot in one box?

Should I consider a adding a resistor for braking? I'm not doing particularly heavy work, but is this a convenience to consider?

I do operate radio equipment (ham radio op) in this building. Should I consider adding an RF noise filter, such as Hitachi's ZCL-B40?
This looks like an iron core winding that wires simply go around a few times. Input or output of VFD, or both?

Its about 2.5 yards to the breaker box. Do I need shielded cables or anything like that?

Any suggestions are welcome! Or point me elsewhere where these questions have already been addressed!
I'm going to have an electrician do the work. I just want to make sure I have all of the pieces on hand!

Thanks,
Ted

If you're a ham operator you probably already have the skills you need to accomplish this, or you could learn pretty quick. With the breaker box being that close it's easy to DIY the electrical hook-up. You could use a plug or a 220v disconnect, it's only three wires.

I did a VFD "conversion" on my 100-year-old Seneca Falls lathe and it's definitely worth it. Assuming you bought the 3 phase model it shouldn't be hard. You can mount your VFD to the wall behind your mill on a piece of plywood, as long as it's out of the path of flying chips you won't have a problem. Building a control box is pretty simple and my preference would be to mount it near the front of your machine where it's handy. I haven't done a braking resistor so I really can't say if it's worth it but I would guess not.

Since you're unlikely to be running the mill while you are talking on the radio I doubt you'll experience any interference. If you think you need shielded cable let me know I have a big spool of Belden 18/4 and can send some to use for controls.

Cheers,

John

Ted:
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new mill. I installed the same drive on my mill and it works very nice. I made my own enclosure for the drive so I do not know where to purchase one. There are people on this forum that can help.
You do not need to run shielded cable. I ran 2 leads plus the ground thru ridged conduit. I am not using the braking resistor. I have my VFD set for coast to stop. I just use the break on the top of the machine to stop the spindle.
I am using the forward and reverse switch that was on the machine to start and stop the drive. I have a 1 turn pot mounted to the switch box for trimming the speed. I limited the frequency from 40 hz to 90 hz for the pot input.
It is not very difficult to set up the drive. The manual does a good job of explaining the parameters. When you power up the drive for the first time if you can not see all of the parameters that they tell you to set you need to set one of the parameters to be able to see all of them. I do not know what the parameter number is but there is a thread in this section about setting up the drive and it is listed there.

Good Luck
Roger L

I installed my WJ200 on the inside of the panel on the left side of the column. Matt at PM gave me the idea.

Also, search on the VFD model number here, as myself and others have been down this road before with this same VFD and PM935

Back