VFD question dealing with Hz

Here is the tag on motor. I got the 2.3 there...not sure if that is right or not.
Thanks for all the info...I have a better understanding what is going on with a VFD.

All I can say....I should have done it years ago, lol. The machine is so smooth and seems like it makes a better finish due to no vibes going through the tooling. If I ever get another lathe...3PH and VFD will be a necessity!

20180411_162008.jpg

575 volt motor...your VFD should be set for that max voltage output accordingly. What is your input voltage/phase/circuit breaker size? Your input may not be able to supply enough power to handle the inrush of a rapid speed increase.

It's a 575 Volt motor. You didn't say what model FM50 you have or what your input voltage to the VFD is. I'm guessing its an FM50-202 which is a 230V In --- 230V Out. I will be very surprised if that works out well under load.FM50-202.PNG

Curious... What is your single phase voltage to the VFD? The plate on the motor says 3ph 575volt. Do you have it wired via the DELTA or STAR connections in the motor's junction box?
Also, what brand are those green link belts on your lathe?

LOL, we all noticed the 575volts! That doesn't appear to be a dual voltage motor ie Star/Delta connections. Your VFD max 3ph output volts = input volts. If your 1ph supply is 230v then the correct nominal Hz should be set to 230/575x60 = 24Hz. Which gives 0.4 of the full voltage output of the motor. IF THE ABOVE is the case, no wonder it doesn't like quick speed changes even with the lathe just running no load. At the VERY best you only have 0.8HP available at 698rpm.
You will find, from the above, that as long as the correct V/Hz ratio for the particular motor (Delta or Star connected) is maintained, a 3ph motor will run happily at the proportional rpm and power output. Amongst others, I have a 3ph 415v 50Hz 1425rpm motor running with a Chinese AskPower VFD at a nominal setting of 240v/29Hz on a drilling machine (ie 240/415x50=29Hz). In my case the output is theoretically 0.58 of the motor's rpm and power at 415v/50Hz. It happily runs up to 60+Hz for drilling small holes and if needed I could move a belt to gain torque for bigger holes(never have).
Your motor may be inverter rated, but it appears it is for a supply of 3ph 575v... :(

Regards, RossG.

The belts are harbor freight. I guess that is why the motor was cheap, lol. Looks like I will be motor shopping since I can't supply more than 240 v....

Always check the motor specs before you part with your hard-earned cash :)
I saw the 575, I thought that might be max volts and never gave it much thought. LOL...I said I wasn't an electrician!

Would it damage the VFD or motor if I use it till I get another motor?

Yes that Surplus Center motor should work assuming frame size and shaft size are ok. It's above my pay grade to answer question about damaging motor or VFD.

Back