VFD took a fall- try to repair or just replace?

troutdreams

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for some advice here on what to do. My TECO L510 took a 3-4 foot fall to a concrete garage floor yesterday during a dust collector wall mount installation. To make matters worse the TECO was new in the box as I'd been putting this project off for some time.
The VFD won't power up and there's a crack along the plastic frame from the fall. Guess I'm asking if it's even worth pulling apart or should I just cut my loses and drop another $215 for a new VFD?
Another solution might be ordering a lower priced VFD this time around if anyone has a recommendation to run a 3hp 3 phase with 220v single phase power input. Start and stop are the functions needed.
Thanks

I think if you have to ask if you should try to repair, just replace.

I've got the cover off and don't see any loose connections or damage other than the plastic cover...and that nothing looks familiar to me.
This is well outside my current abilities. Just hated to toss the thing without asking first.
Thanks for the reply, btw

Modern electronics is relatively insensitive to inertial shock. Chance are there is some obscure connection which was broken in the fall. Possibly internally in a switch, a fuse, or a pot. If I wasn't comfortable with trying to make a repair, I would be inclined to buy identical replacement unit and keep the old unit for replacement parts.

Yes, take the cover(s) off and look for a displaced connector. OTOH, if a PC board is cracked, it could make the unit a bit sketchy. If you prefer, you can just tell yourself that they shipped you a defective one!

Last edited:
Yes, take the cover(s) off and look for a displaced connector. OTOH, ahe PC board may be cracked, which could make it a bit sketchy to mess with. If you prefer, you can just tell yourself that they shipped you a defective one!

Yeah, I couldn't find a loose wire, crack or anything once I had the cover off so I just ordered another one from Marshall Wolf.
Tried to convince myself it'll be nice to have spare parts on hand...

Ask the vendor about repairs.

We left a flashlight on a muffler and it melted, asked manufacturer part number and cost for case...they asked for serial number and stated it was a warranty repair and issued RMA, got a brand new one in the mail...

Costs nothing to ask.

May be cheap to fix since it is current model

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What brand flashlight was that. Next time I buy a flashlight it will be that brand.

Steamlight vulcan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’d stand a ways back and fire it up I’ve seen Allen Bradley’s take some serious abuse and keep on trucking I had a trucking company flip one of my SCR houses while unloading it and all my drives still worked

Back