VFD wiring issues- Please help

One last thing to think about... On all my VFD, each requires that you specify (by programming the registers) the desired input voltage and incoming frequency. These things are designed to work in many counties where the input voltage could be 110, 220, 50Hz or 60Hz. You have to tell it what is being supplied. (With additional circuitry, they could determine that automatically but for cost saving, they make the user manually enter the values).

I'm swamped at the moment and can't look at the manual but, do look it over for those parameters... It's possible though that yours automatically senses input parameters.

If all this fails then, it's also possible (as others have noted) that your feed line is too long and is dropping voltage when load is applied. 12ga stranded wire would help that situation. When circuits start getting longer than about 75' (roughly) these types of problems can start to appear -especially when you're pulling more than 10-15 amps.

Ray

what circuit/breaker are you running this off of? 15Amp? 20Amp?

running a 220V 3PH motor off of a 120v input can be done up to a 1HP motor - which is what you have, that means you are maxing the capability of a VFD running off of 120 and that means it requires as much Amp on that circuit as can be. if this is running on a 15Amp circuit and if that circuit is feeding other devices/lights/etc than you may not have enough juice left on the input to power up that motor via that VFD

just a thought. can you try setting that VFD no it's own 20Amp breaker?

I confirmed the VFD was wired properly and looked at the parameters mentioned and fired it up and it did improve slightly but it did throw a code and stalled. I called tech support which was fantastic and he informed me that the VFD is only good to around 3.2 amps. My 1hp motor is 4.2 amps so it is drawing more than the drive will allow. SO, it looks like I need a new motor. While it was spinning at full speed I did notice that the bearings are a bit noisy. I had put oil in the cups a few weeks ago and sun it, but they were empty again today. Any suggestions on quieting down those bearings? Once I decided the 1hp motor in the lathe was too amp hungry, I wired the VFD to a 1/2 hp motor I had laying around and it worked great so I know the VFD is good and I am looking forward to getting a proper motor mounted up.

I just rechecked the specs of the VFD and it says it is good up to 4.2 amps... so I dont know what gives. I will have to call tech support again tomorrow before I throw down money on a new motor. Maybe I do have a problem somewhere in the motor that is causing the VFD to stall out. Also, In response to the idea that I have current drain due to improper cord sizing..... I have to admit that I have the VFD wired with a 12ga cord and that is plugged into a smaller gauge extension cord. Ploblem is that I dont have an un-GFCI outlet around the lathe that doesnt pop when I start it up. Very frustrating....

the JNEV-101-H1 is rated for up to 1Hp motor or 4.2Amp constant torque - like I mentioned, this is what your motor is rated at so you are drawing the max out of that VFD (usually not a good idea, even though it is doable). combine that with the smaller extension cables and circuits and there are too many 'what ifs' that might be happening due to trying to pull max amp on the entire setup. as you notice with a smaller motor this was not the case.

Do you have a 220v 1ph outlet around? you could up your VFD to the next size up that can support up to 2 or 3Hp motors and over 220v the Amp draw will be lower so you won't be running into the same issues. probably cheaper than replacing the motor itself (unless the motor is failing and really calls out to be replaced)

I GOT IT i GOT IT i GOT IT WOOOO HOOOO!

So I went out to the garage because the 4.2 amp thing was bothering me and so was the smaller(16ga) extension cord. I tried to eliminate the extension cord but all I have out in the garage is GFCI outlets which pop as soon as the VFD is turned on. SO i looked at all of the parameters again and one stood out. Kenny gets the big THANK YOU for hitting the problem on the head... and I should have looked at this earlier. The VFD wasnt set to 020 to indicate 60hz. I did ask the tech support guy about it and he said not to even bother looking because North American units come pre programmed set to 60hz- WRONG. it was set to 000. SO Kenny, thanks again, and thanks to all who helped with this thread. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go but at least now I know the motor will work.

Bob

Bob, does that outlet need to be GFCI protected? If not , you can change it to a normal circuit. If the breaker is the GFI, change it to a normal one. If the receptacle is GFI, change it to a normal one.

As mentioned, the circuit should be 20 amp, but only if the wire is #12 AWG. If it's #14, keep it at 15 amp. If you are going 20 amp, make sure the receptacle is rated for it. It will look like a regular 15 amp one, but with a T-shaped slot on the neutral side.

Back