Vibrating tumbler

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I have a vibrating tumbler for cleaning firearm cases. Can it be used effectively for deburring small parts from the machine shop? What media? Ratio of parts to media?

I'm guessing it has a 5 lb capacity. Maybe a bit more.

I have some old triangle media from a friend but it didn't do much, which might be my ignorance more than anything.

I have a vibrating tumbler for cleaning firearm cases. Can it be used effectively for deburring small parts from the machine shop? What media? Ratio of parts to media?

I'm guessing it has a 5 lb capacity. Maybe a bit more.

I have some old triangle media from a friend but it didn't do much, which might be my ignorance more than anything.
I think you would put too much stress on the motor, happened to me --- had to get new motor.

"Real" media for metal finishing is too heavy for the vibratory tumbler. Use a rotary tumbler instead. Reloading tumblers were made for superlight media such as walnut shell, peach husk, or corn cob. The manufacturers all say media plus a pound of brass. If I use two pounds, it takes three times as long. Brass casings are a light duty application, parts finishing really needs a purpose-intended tumbler. It's like trying to use a hairdryer as a forge. The concept is about right, but the power level is way off.

"Real" media for metal finishing is too heavy for the vibratory tumbler. Use a rotary tumbler instead. Reloading tumblers were made for superlight media such as walnut shell, peach husk, or corn cob. The manufacturers all say media plus a pound of brass. If I use two pounds, it takes three times as long. Brass casings are a light duty application, parts finishing really needs a purpose-intended tumbler. It's like trying to use a hairdryer as a forge. The concept is about right, but the power level is way off.
Its easy to say to use a rotary tumbler I don't own vs the vibratory I do.

If 2 lbs is the limit I can work with that until I get something bigger. I just wanted to see if I could work out what ratios might work.

I'm not doing hundreds of parts. Maybe just a few every now and then.

All good advice above.

You haven't described what you're trying to do.
Uniform surface on small light parts, probably doable.
What media depends on the parts and the desired result.
Very low power takes very much longer.
Remove heavy burrs from parts, highly unlikely.

All good advice above.

You haven't described what you're trying to do.
Uniform surface on small light parts, probably doable.
What media depends on the parts and the desired result.
Very low power takes very much longer.
Remove heavy burrs from parts, highly unlikely.
I never know what I'm going to need to do....lol

Its easy to say to use a rotary tumbler I don't own vs the vibratory I do.
Of course it is! I am a bona-fide optimizer, so I have to consider the ideal situation at the same time I'm considering more useful solutions that merely suffice. It is a logical caveat to the topic to call out the proper art before turning to the shortcut :grin:.

For parts that can fit, it might be worth trying the lighter weight Harbor Freight resin abrasive media. I haven't tried, but I bet that stuff would run in a reloading tumbler at half full. I'm certain that the ceramic abrasive would be way too dense/heavy for the tumbler to cycle. Of course this limits you to tumbling metals that are compatible with the abrasive and finish, but it's something.

I know I've thought of the same thing. I'm certainly willing to try when I have a project worth doing it on. I think the size and weight constraints (the capacity of the tumbler) are the main hurdle, and the usefulness of lightweight media are limiting, but there is still a good range of stuff that might work out. Like you've stated, it's nice to use equipment you own rather than going out and spending money for more equipment to do the job.

Of course it is! I am a bona-fide optimizer, so I have to consider the ideal situation at the same time I'm considering more useful solutions that merely suffice. It is a logical caveat to the topic to call out the proper art before turning to the shortcut :grin:.

For parts that can fit, it might be worth trying the lighter weight Harbor Freight resin abrasive media. I haven't tried, but I bet that stuff would run in a reloading tumbler at half full. I'm certain that the ceramic abrasive would be way too dense/heavy for the tumbler to cycle. Of course this limits you to tumbling metals that are compatible with the abrasive and finish, but it's something.

I know I've thought of the same thing. I'm certainly willing to try when I have a project worth doing it on. I think the size and weight constraints (the capacity of the tumbler) are the main hurdle, and the usefulness of lightweight media are limiting, but there is still a good range of stuff that might work out. Like you've stated, it's nice to use equipment you own rather than going out and spending money for more equipment to do the job.
I'm thinking I might try a pound of ceramic to the few parts I'd normally need to tumble at any one time. I'll try it on some rusty parts tomorrow.

Back