Vibration Damping in Machines

cmantunes

Registered
Registered
For quite some time, I've been toying with the idea of "filling the holes" on my benchtop milling machine with polymer concrete. This has been done by others and appears to be a good way to increase both mass and vibration damping.

Today, while browsing examples of polymer concrete on Youtube, I stumbled across a video entitled "Ultra High Performance Concrete". It appears that this particular material offers pretty much the same effects as epoxy-containing polymer concrete. In addition, it's flowing properties are absolutely amazing. I leave the video here for others to see.

You are on the right track. There is no substitute for mass. Running a heavy machine makes a world of difference. I read
somewhere that lathes were set in concrete to stiffen things up.... back in the WW2 days if I remember correctly.

When I worked for my dad we had a 60X240 Tuda lathe that sat on an 8" concrete floor and wasn't good enough. We cut the floor out and dug down about 4' and poured 22 cubic yards of concrete for the lathe foundation. It worked pretty good after that.

In my old wood shop we had Martin panel saws, the bases were double walled steel filled with concrete, they weighed about 4,000 lb. each, 7kw (9hp) motors and usually 14" blades, they could rip a 2" thick oak board almost as fast as you could push it, with barely any hint of vibration.

Any off the shelf non-shrinking grout will work just fine . Just follow the the directions on the bag and everything will go just fine . 25 years journeyman cement mason . have any questions just ask

Back