Vibration with Mill and Lathe on Toolbox

sundewzer

Registered
Registered
Hoping someone could tell me if they have had any issue with vibration and their benchtop machine's bases.

My mill isn't to bad during cutting but the rapid had to be slowed down to about 200 ipm when the motors can easily run it at 400 ipm. The casters are removed and it is bolted into the concrete with a couple TEK Concrete screw. I am moving in a few months and didn't want to go overkill so I just kept is simple.

The lathe is unusable at 800 RPM, I assume I am exciting some natural frequency as it works fine at 600 RPM and 1000 RPM. The DRO bounces so much at 800 you can't even read it. The lathe isn't mounted to the concrete yet as I haven't finished building the feet. Before I put the feet on I wanted to make sure I didn't need any additional reinforcements.

Lathe PM1127

Mill PM30MV

Anyone else had similar issues? Did you stiffen up the toolbox to resolve the issue? The other thing I am considering for the mill is a A-frame from the column to the concrete but I could see getting it all adjusted right to be very difficult.

I personally wouldn't mount that large a lathe on any toolbox , it deserves a nice solid platform . :)

I love my toolboxes. I was going to build a stand and put the toolbox under it but it made it to tall and I also lacked the money and time to do it right. All my extra money is now sitting on top the toolboxes.

That looks like a really clean workshop and Clearpath conversion. Would love to see the details on the PM-25 CNC.

We all love toolboxes ! For a temporary set-up that would work , but after you move I would have something a bit more substantial under that lathe .

I've long been considering replacing the flimsy and bent stand under my 12x36 lathe with one of the largest HF tool boxes. Maybe I will reconsider...

Preparatory to making chips and machine tool rebuilding once again after the move, I've started rereading Moore and Conley.

Additionally, I found this a helpful read on the topic chatter.

Daryl
MN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I am happy to share any details on the build. It is an 30MV and I am glad I got the bigger motor. Using UCCNC with the UB1. The only thing not working great is the spindle speed control. The machine controller doesn't seem to like the PWM signal so I threw a cap in there to level it. It got it working but it still isn't as accurate and repeatable as I would like. Below is an album that add all my mill stuff to if you care to look.

I've long been considering replacing the flimsy and bent stand under my 12x36 lathe with one of the largest HF tool boxes. Maybe I will reconsider...
I know I have seen a lot of people do it and once I get the rigidity need it will be great, I think. That is why I was hoping someone had already had this issue.

Back