Videos For Beginners

This ought to be pinned at the top of it's forum so It won't get lost. Basic training is never out of order.

So that is how you make threads! Thank you!

Do they sell the cut tools already made to the angles required? For that first practice (when I get a lathe) would be great to have the tools already set... while I learned how to ground them to specifications...

Let me search on that... EDIT: Found those.

I know, I know... must learn how to make the tool for the cut... I hope they sell the tool long enough for beginners... so that it accounts for all the errors and I do not end up with a 3/4" long cutting tool when I start with a 3" long piece, lol.

Last edited:
So that is how you make threads! Thank you!

Do they sell the cut tools already made to the angles required? For that first practice (when I get a lathe) would be great to have the tools already set... while I learned how to ground them to specifications...

Let me search on that... EDIT: Found those.

I know, I know... must learn how to make the tool for the cut... I hope the sell the tool long enough for beginners... so that it accounts for all the errors and I do not end up with a 3/4" long cutting tool when I start with a 3" long piece, lol.

I am sure there are profiled ground tool bits out there for sale. I know profiled ground end-mills are.

Most of us grind our bits to match the material or conditions we ran into. I milled a small slot in a 1/2" square CRS to hold a 1/4" tool bit so it will fit a quick change tool holder. No sense grinding a large bit when a smaller one will work specially if you have more than one lathe.

Back