Vinegar nickel plating chemistry gone stale?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It's my fun thing to stop rust. I originally posted back in January 2020 --> HERE
In the original Geoffrey Croker video on YouTube "Electroplating - Easy DIY Nickel, Copper, Zinc Plating", he said that the solution only needs to be made once. It will "last forever in a sealed container".

I tried it, and it worked just great! The solution was fresh. On one try, with the current set too high, I did mess up a little. The coating was slightly yellow tinge, and had little growths of nickel on edges. Time has passed, with the solution stored in a jar in the cellar. Now I come back to it, and..

Nickel Acetate.png --> becomes-->Nickel Brown.jpg

My jar of nickel acetate (on the right) used to be that beautiful green colour, though mine went a deeper green as more nickel went into solution, until it saturated. Now, it has gone brown. I know the nickel has to still be in there. It started out with vinegar, so carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with extra hydrogen and oxygen from the water. There is, of course, the nickel, and a little sodium and chlorine from the spoon of salt added to increase the conductivity.

Does it still work?
I think so. The old square head screw I tried fizzed away an intense cloud of bubbles at the cathode, which would be hydrogen. The bolt did take on plating, though I am unsure about how much. I am, of course, going to try out the brown stuff some more.

It brings the question - why is my pretty green colour solution now a brown colour, and what has it changed into?
I thought nickel ions in solution had to be green. This would be one for HM members who did not doze off during Chem 2.1 lectures, like I did :(

I won't really care so long as the stuff still plates nickel, but for that, we shall see!

I will be curious myself. I have dove into the plating process myself. I just made my first batch of nickel solution about two weeks ago. I used nickel welding rod as my anode.
What is your process and how have your results been?
I’ve ran into problems with my solution I think or it could be something else I just don’t know. The cause and effects I’ve researched arnt detailed enough for me to grasp.
I’m plating a bunch of hardware for a table I’m building and it started off good I was happy with the results of a semi bright nickel coat. Then doing the same process the coating started to get a haze to it. I tried a different power source and new anode and then I got the hazing and a breakout in the coating and little pin holes in the finish.
I am at a stand still right now not knowing what I did wrong. I think the ph might be off but I need to get a tester. If you google bright nickel coating problems you get some good leads just absorbing it for me is a problem. It’s all magic to me. Sorry to jump in on your thread ill start another. To me it looks like your solution has rust in it. Idk here’s what I have coated so far. Far left is 1st one, center is 2nd, right is none coated.
E7C07E61-9565-49CC-B8A9-3F800A07E79F.jpeg
Top left is the start top five looked good second row starts the hazing and the two bottom right show the spawling and cracks and pinholes. 8B15E761-6CFF-40E1-B008-823C81B0EDE2.jpeg
and these are the last two I did. I think I had to many amps at 5v 3.5amps plating both nuts at once. They are 1.250 thread nuts for reference. The first five I was using 6v batteries out of exits signs but I wanted to use a wall wart to eliminate having to recharge batteries in between coating.
i will have to say I love the easy of the process but I don’t know enough to diagnose the problems that might come up. Sorry.

Attachments

• 4B4E1268-B8AE-4ECE-B90C-B741AAB89AC8.jpeg
    4B4E1268-B8AE-4ECE-B90C-B741AAB89AC8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
I will be curious myself. I have dove into the plating process myself. I just made my first batch of nickel solution about two weeks ago. I used nickel welding rod as my anode.
What is your process and how have your results been?
I’ve ran into problems with my solution I think or it could be something else I just don’t know. The cause and effects I’ve researched arnt detailed enough for me to grasp.
I’m plating a bunch of hardware for a table I’m building and it started off good I was happy with the results of a semi bright nickel coat. Then doing the same process the coating started to get a haze to it. I tried a different power source and new anode and then I got the hazing and a breakout in the coating and little pin holes in the finish.
I am at a stand still right now not knowing what I did wrong. I think the ph might be off but I need to get a tester. If you google bright nickel coating problems you get some good leads just absorbing it for me is a problem. It’s all magic to me. Sorry to jump in on your thread ill start another. To me it looks like your solution has rust in it. Idk here’s what I have coated so far. Far left is 1st one, center is 2nd, right is none coated.
View attachment 364877
Top left is the start top five looked good second row starts the hazing and the two bottom right show the spawling and cracks and pinholes. View attachment 364878
and these are the last two I did. I think I had to many amps at 5v 3.5amps plating both nuts at once. They are 1.250 thread nuts for reference. The first five I was using 6v batteries out of exits signs but I wanted to use a wall wart to eliminate having to recharge batteries in between coating.
i will have to say I love the easy of the process but I don’t know enough to diagnose the problems that might come up. Sorry.
I will provide all the good info I can, and pictures. I have an extensive set of recipes, collections of patents, etc.
My first plating attempts were very successful - kind of beautiful. It not not take long to discover there are ways to ruin it.

It goes without saying that the iron/steel needs to be physically and chemically clean. Using solvents and degreasers is OK provided the film they leave is wiped off with something that evaporates completely - like IPA alcohol. Just before dunking ino the plating solution, a wash in dilute acid, followed by dunk in the bucket of water is what I did. Commonly, hydrochloric acid, the impure form "muriatic acid" is OK. The stuff sold to change the pH of swimming pools to the point the precipitates that make it "cloudy" dissolve.

I did not want to mess with that when at the time, I had some clean battery acid. This, being sulphur based, has no environmental impact when disposed of, though by the time I have used it for what I do, I suspect it's pretty much used up into sulfates anyway. You can throw it onto the ground, or wash it down the drain. It's way weaker than drain unblocker anyway.

Probably the main reason things are going wrong is the current density for the area being plated. My first plating went on in about 10 minutes at 450mA. It was onto a South Bend 9C countershaft, or at least for the half that would fit down the jam jar. Other circumstances have delayed the re-assembly, so I still have the half-plated shaft, and the plated bit looks great!

Nickel Electrolysis-2.png

Nickel Electrolysis-5.png

You can see that the countershaft plating took on a slightly "golden"look. Other plating I have done just looks like chrome. In passing, the nickel came from 100% pure nickel strips. The type that are used to spot-weld battery packs. Take care if you get this stuff, because some types are only nickel plated, not nickel all the way through.

I also have nickel in welding rods. Again, verify they do not have other stuff alloyed in. I suppose it might all still work OK. If I used a 55% NiFe, I guess the nickel would plate, and the iron would just drop out into the solution as dregs. Plating is a way to "purify" an element. I just don't know the viable chemistry yet.

About plating with current.
If you were running as much as 3.5A onto one nut at a time, I would think you might have problems. The saturation of the electrolyte eventually happens (real deep green), but that so far as I can tell, might only cause little rough clumps an flakes of shiny nickel debris that can mess up the smoothness if you use too much current for the area being plated.

The next thing that affects it is the arrangement of the anode distance to the steel. Getting the (nut) as far away from the nickel anode as possible, and stirring or agitating the solution a lot is an attempt to make all the bits of the part being plated experience similar conditions. The concentration of nickel near the part is constantly being depleted. This approach is not practical. It forces large volumes of plating solution, and depending on the shapes, the electric field is not constant.

The better approach is to try and even out the field by putting more anodes around it and even "shaping" them to deliver nickel into awkward places. e..g. To plate up the middle of a spindle, suspend the spindle and put a nickel rod up the middle of it.

None of this is needed for simple plating of some nuts.

The power supply.
You only need a cheap one but having something adjustable is very handy. Capture a PSU unit from a junked computer. They often have 5V and 3.3V outputs. You get the PSU to start up by linking, or putting a switch between a 0V wire and the ENABLE wire connection.

With a teaspoon of salt in the electrolyte, and getting up a suitable current like 0.5Amps, my plating voltages are usually low, about 2V to 5V.
A cheap eBay electronics experimenter's adjustable bench supply is what you need, especially if it can be switched to constant current mode, where you set the current, and leave the voltage to vary. I get a version of this by setting the voltage to a bit more than I need, like about 4V, and then setting a overload current limit to 0.5A. I short-circuit the output, set the current, remove the short, and then use it. We are talking $30 - $60. You get "dual" ones, and very fancy ones which cost more. The most common seems to be up to 5A adjustable. You will never need 30V. The flea market 2nd hand Farnell PSU I use is 1Amp maximum.

More current
This is OK if you have more stuff being plated. If you have enough plating bath, then you can hang a whole row of nuts. The graphs and recipes all involve a rough estimate of plating area, to get the required current density for a particular type of plating surface. You might want ductile - low stress, you might want very hard, you might want "satin" finish with additives, etc.

Electroless
This is a whole other technology, where the only voltage driving the chemistry is the electrode potential of the metal itself compared to that of nickel. The coating is exactly even everywhere, very regular, and can be persuaded to go onto nearly anything. The solution depletes, and the process is self-limiting at a certain thickness. This is used for "nickel strike" as a precursor to subsequent plating to bring the thickness up to what is needed. I have collections of recipes for this too, since it is enough to stop the corrosion, which is all i wanted.

Thickness.
You only need fractions of a micron. 0.25 microns is enough, but lots of plating is done in range 1micron to 10 microns.

For me - it's about rust!
I just hate that our fine iron is being reclaimed back into oxygen laden ore. When I used a steam-cleaner on a lathe bed casting, I was astonished to see it turning orange right before my eyes in a few minutes. I have since discovered that if you get (say) your nuts really clean, maybe with a little dunk in battery acid, then fix it with a wash or dunk in tap water, then put it in a container with something alkaline like washng soda, or even baking soda, or caustic soda solution. This blocks the exposure of the iron to air oxygen. The guys who want to do gun blueing and the like will tell you that boiling the part in alkali changes the surface to magnetite. However it happens, I found that if I just leave the stuff to be plated in the washing soda until needed, then a quick rinse before putting into the nickel solution, works just fine. Even just leaving them under water would be OK. Anything other than bring out into the air, especially if the part is warm or hot.
Actually doing electrolysis in washing soda is a well-known rust removal process - different subject.

I am, of course, still discovering it all, experimenting when I can. I will post more as I verify stuff. I now have a collection of most chemicals used in the recipes I can attempt at home, to get the coatings I want.

Regarding rust - I suppose I quote Winston Churchill, with his quaint exact grammar. "There are some things up with which I will not put"!

Last edited:
Your way ahead of me in the knowledge dept. on this. My mixture is white distilled vinegar and some salt. My process was the nuts had a waxy coating on them so what I did was dip in pure acetone for five min then wire brush the nut and clean in water. Then dip in vinegar for about ten minutes rinse in water with a wire brush it gets any surface rust off nuts are brand new so pretty clean. After that I dip in a mix of muratic acid and water. From there I dip in water shake it around and go into the nickel bath.
Nickel rod is 99% welding rod which I bust off the flux coating and get the rod to a clean naked finish. I leave the rods the length and bend them in a zig zag and contour around the square container.
I would rotate the parts every couple of minutes and drag around in the solution. My first five came out good was on a roll and then all of a sudden on the sixth I started the get that frosted look which I am NOT going for. I think either the ph might be off or I contaminated the solution with acetone or the acid idk.
my plan was to strip the coating off the bad ones in a vinegar bath. Then filter out my solution and try again. Will see
Question though is it better to have a very rich solution of nickel. Meaning maybe do another rods worth of nickel into the bath. I did one full rods worth on the first time. Took like three days to erode with a 15v 450ma wall wort.
I will try battery acid as I have a bunch at work if it is a better way then the muratic acid. I will also try adding anodes to keep me from having to move the part. My goal is a bright nickel to match the hardware I was able to buy but this hardware is to big and I probably wouldn’t want to pay the price if they were available. Thanks for all the knowledge on the subject very much appreciated.

The frosted look is, I think, loads of nickel going onto the parts way too fast, and with the donating electrode too close.
Th pH need not concern you with vinegar. It's an acid, serving temporarily to transport nickel onto a part .
The green solution is nickel acetate. The nickel exists as Ni++ , which means the outer two electrons have drifted off into the acid solution. This double charge positive ion gives the acetate it's beautiful green colour. In solution, it exists as the double-charged ion, meaning an atom that has had two electrons stripped off. It will be strongly attracted to anything negative - like your nuts connected to a battery.

As soon as the nickel ion gets two electrons (from a nut), it drops out of solution, back to being a solid metal, no longer green. If you could look at the nut surface with monster magnification, it would be like hills and mountains and caves, and a matrix of rough iron and silica pearlite, with crystal boundaries. At the atom level, there are plenty of places where the incoming nickel can latch on. As new nickel arrives, it finds itself, and starts to build its own pure crystal structures, all tangled up with the steel, until eventually it covers over, and , incoming nickel ions become metal, adding onto the existing nickel layer as perfect crystal.

If the current density is too high, and the electric field too non-uniform (but locally strong) , and the concentration of separated ions too variable, then it has less chance of laying on uniformly, but will start to plate up little towers, and bumps, and flakes, some of which can drop off, and sink to the bottom of the jar as ugly grains. The lumps and grains and local crystal growths make the "rough" surface.

Everything you have been doing in respect of cleaning, and preparing, and giving yourself the best chance seems absolutely fine. Hydrochloric acid will chew out rust and expose the chemical surface just as well as battery acid. I just happened to use stuff I had around. It does not even have to be clean, so long as you wash it down afterwards.

You can strip off the nickel by reversing polarity, and making it donate the nickel back into the bath, BUT - you will be running a current from an iron electrode into an acid, and perhaps making a competing plating solution, this time with iron - except, the iron will only dirty up the solution.
The finish you get is the surface you started with before plating. The plating does not lay on shininess. It just replicates the finish that was there before you started. If the plating got messed up, and went on rough, just buff up the nuts, clean, and start again. It does not matter if they have been partly plated.

It's late here, and the planet under me is 6 hours ahead of you, so it has to be tomorrow maybe, but I will try and get a picture of a plating bath goodie I have yet to try. It's intended to be able to take "longer" stuff, like a countershaft, but could adapt to hanging a line of nuts in solution, and it is shaped so as not to need loads of electrolyte. I made it out of a short length of 110mm soil drain plastic pipe, with section cut off from it's circle, and the ends blocked with plastic lids that came from the ends of cardboard tube packaging. Things will become clear when you see the picture.

Invest in a little roll of titanium wire from eBay. A few dollars worth. Again I will take a picture. I suggest hook or tie each nut onto a couple of inches of the wire, all in a row, onto a piece of wooden dowel, or plastic rod. Steal a fat knitting needle, or something else insulating. The titanium wire will not react, nor contaminate the solution. The ends tied to the rod can be connected with copper hookup wire helix around the rod - or whatever wire you raided to make the connections. You can lay the weld rod along the bottom, it cannot fall any further. Bend one end up to poke out of the liquid, or just use a few inches of titanium wire, or nickel ribbon like I had.

You hang the row of nuts in the solution. Each sees an identical field from the bottom. Sway the rod lengthwise a bit, every now and then, so all the nuts on it stir together. It does not matter if one or two inadvertently touch, but try and keep them separated.
Try an example..
Suppose you plate (something) for 15 minutes, and the current was (say) 0.5 Amp.
That's 900 seconds worth. Ampere-seconds is the charge moved in Coulombs.

One electron has charge 1.60217646 × 10e-19 coulomb. Not too hard to get that the 900 Coulombs shifted trillions of electrons (5.617358167e+21), but divide by two, because it took two to liberate every nickel ion.
So 2.80867908351e+21 nickel atoms.

So what current, and how long?

We could do this the hard way, but easier is to look up the tables in chemistry books, or on the internet, to get to the weight of nickel deposited. There is an efficiency involved. You expended some of the electrons fizzing up hydrogen and oxygen.

Get an approximate idea of the area of a nut surface (or the total surfaces of the number of nuts you hang).
Imagine the threads were not there - just a hole. Get the area, then increase the hole area by 3/2. Add to that what you figure is the area of the outer parts of the nut. From the area, get to a volume by deciding on the nickel thickness. e.g. 2 microns. Multiply area x 2 microns, to get the volume. Turn the volume into a weight of nickel using the density 8.9grams/cm^3.

Or - you can just run 0.5A, and keep looking for the first minute, and increase to 1A if all is well. Seeing a furious gush of fine bubbles is not going to give a nice surface. Sure, you should see bubbles coming off the nuts, fizzing away readily, but gentle-like.

Pictures later - I will get back to this. I still have to figure out what to do with my brown yukky solution.

I’d love to see your recipes Graham. I’ve tried to nickel plate some shop made parallels that I leave out all the time. Rust is a big issue since New Orleans is like the tropics. 100% humidity and condensation sweating is the norm.

Anyway, I probably read up about electroplating for weeks. And the shop parallels were a test so to say. I keep my good fixtures in a closed cabinet with dehumidifier desiccants plus camphor. That seems to be working.

But, I’m now working on trying to repair my heavily pitted dial on my lathe. I would make one and might still have to but I’m going to try to repair it first.

So, quick question. Zinc and tin can both be nickel electroplated ?
I’m planning on filling the pits with either zinc or tin, then machine and polish the surface just to when I can see the graduations…and the hopefully nickel plate it.

Oh…. And just to clarify my game plan…. I’m going to heat it up and basically lay a coating of tin solder. Then clean and polish and then hopefully nickel electroplate the polished dial.

Attachments

• BA1A9AEF-E644-4CF8-A603-1275EB16E017.jpeg
    BA1A9AEF-E644-4CF8-A603-1275EB16E017.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • FD6F2D40-AFE5-46C7-A678-38A3A98E4A54.jpeg
    FD6F2D40-AFE5-46C7-A678-38A3A98E4A54.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I’d love to see your recipes Graham. I’ve tried to nickel plate some shop made parallels that I leave out all the time. Rust is a big issue since New Orleans is like the tropics. 100% humidity and condensation sweating is the norm.

Anyway, I probably read up about electroplating for weeks. And the shop parallels were a test so to say. I keep my good fixtures in a closed cabinet with dehumidifier desiccants plus camphor. That seems to be working.

But, I’m now working on trying to repair my heavily pitted dial on my lathe. I would make one and might still have to but I’m going to try to repair it first.

I’m planning on filling the pits with either zinc or tin, then machine and polish the surface just to when I can see the graduations…and the hopefully nickel plate it.

Oh…. And just to clarify my game plan…. I’m going to heat it up and basically lay a coating of tin solder. Then clean and polish and then hopefully nickel electroplate the polished dial.
Hi Tim
My best laid plans are all over the place. I had to take what ride I could get in the quest of woodwork re-supply. I also had to take a long-ish walk to go and vote. The pictures have not happened yet. Like Mrs Beeton, I like to test out the recipes first, but we know she did not - indeed she may have not known her publisher was publishing madly with her name on everything. Adding up the cooking times was unkind!
BUT
In this case, there is no reason we both cannot venture out on testing plating. On trick I do want to get right is "satin finish" nickel plating, such as is done on micrometer barrels, and instrument dials. I think it may be quite easy, involving titanium dioxide (substance in ordinary white paint).

My South Bend compound dials are tiny (3/4") and similarly unreadable, for worn faintness of lines. Yours are truly tragic! By now you may have found The Stefan Gotteswinter Youtube video on making his better dials. There are some others on how to index and scribe the graduations using a lathe tool point specially ground, and turned through 90°. One guy uses the teeth of a saw blade to click along. After you have made it good, then by all means, plate it. A few minutes in vinegar, and it will never rust again.

Even now, it's almost 21:00, and I am called away again! I will get you this stuff - when I can catch a break! :)

@Tim9 :
Hi
OK - I have a picture of my ghetto plating bath device fashioned from a short length of 100mm uPVC drain pipe.

The circular section uses the minimum volume of electrolyte for the shape. I blocked the ends with those white plastic lid ends from the cardboard tube shipping packaging things from when plastic jars of chemical stuff arrived. You get a cap on each end secured to the cardboard with staples. I sealed them on with hot melt glue.

The "stands" are wall-mount guttering down-pipe brackets. This type have their own "ratchet-click" tightening molded in. I did not even have to go to the hardware store. They were left over from when I put the guttering up years ago.

The counter-shaft is suspended on titanium wires, which also serve to make the connection. Sure - that is a black alligator clip looking like it is bringing electrons direct from Asgar :) I plan to fit a couple of connection terminal bolts at the top of each end.

The countershaft may not need much anode material, nor be too careful in distribution. I could lay some nickel anode along the bottom underneath it, but that seems too much flap for something simple.

The spindle is another matter. The aim is to protect the MT3 Morse taper up the middle of it. Mounting a nickel welding rod, or stretching a nickel ribbon up the middle might be a way, but I think if I had a nickel rod poke up the end, enough to provide for the Morse taper, that would be enough.

Anyways, that is what I have knocked up, and I hope to try it soon.

I have not forgotten the recipes - they will come.

Pipe Bath1.jpg

Last edited:

My apologies for not directly addressing your question..
I do believe you can plate nickel onto just about anything. There is a reason nickel is the go-to first substance as "nickel strike" in so many plating operations. For example, when you get something chrome plated, if it's an awkward metal, then electroless nickel goes on first, to then allow a substantial thickness ductile copper coat. That coat is mechanically polished up to the shiny finish required. Then cleaned and degreased, and nickel is plated on. This coating is also relatively ductile. Then finally, the (thin) outer layer of chrome. Chrome plating is hard, and highly stressed, and can peel off. Versions of final plate are "micro-cracked" relieving stress, and having high adhesion. Oxygen and moisture may well penetrate the cracking, only to be stopped by the nickel undercoat. This "cracking" is not directly visible.

The lesson here is - nickel plates onto copper. Copper has a more positive electrode potential than nickel.

Zincate process
This is part of the tricks one has to get up to to plate onto aluminium. They use sodium hydroxide and zinc oxide. The caustic soda cuts through the surface oxide that is on aluminium, and lets the zinc deposit on (all by itself), without the help of any outside electricity. This thin layer of zinc adheres stronglgy, and is the base for copper or brass, and subsequent nickel.

Then they get clever, and add in some nickel solution to the zincate, along with other stuff to keep it all together, and plate away with the nickel.

There is the discovery of the "double zincate" preparation, which just means "do it twice". The first time it prepares the surface. Then they strip it off with nitric acid, and start again. It seems the surface reactions first time are different to second time. It bonds into the sponge-like matrix.

The lesson here is - you can plate onto zinc (which is what you asked).
On the way - we learn that is the route to plating aluminium.

Plating nickel onto tin
This question arises when folk want to nickel plate an item that has been brazed (95% tin + 5% Ag), silver soldered.
I don't have the immediate answer, but there is a lot of traffic on the subject. Without going too far into exotic chemicals, you can try it with the vinegar. Regular lead-free solder (for electronics) and maybe also for heating plumbing joints, is likely 99.3% tin and 0.7% copper.
If I get a chance, I might try a chunk in my nickel solution (I have a reel of "lead free" solder).

Your dial.
Re-finishing your dial from it's corroded state has me wonder .. what metal is it made of?
The pitting does not look like rust.

If aluminium, you might consider aome anodizing. This is very easy to do provided you keep it all clean, and follow the methods. The basic stuff you need is battery acid, or diluted battery acid. If it was aluminium, I would consider spinning it, and have a careful removal of surface corrosion, not aggressive enough to go through the graduations cuts. Shiny up. Then anodize. At the right stage, add in the dye to get the colour you want. You might consider black anodizing before the polish-up, leaving the graduations in strong black contrast, then follow with either clear anodizing (to protect it), or some paler colour you like.

Look on YouTube for anodizing electrolysis. The main trick is to "seal" the final dye surface, I think by using boiling hot water. Again - I don't really know much about this yet. From my little play with it, I ended up with a beautiful wine-coloured ring-pull torn from a beer can :)
.. and battery acid on my shirt! :(

Last edited:
We often nickel-plated metal samples prior to cross sectioning them for analysis. The nickel layer kept softer metals from smearing, an issue if what you're trying to do is measure the thickness of metal layers (gold-plated parts in particular). We mixed up the nickel plating solution ourselves, which was a water solution of nickel sulfate plus a little sulfuric acid. The solution never turned brown. I wouldn't expect acetic acid to decompose over time, but it possible that it was degraded by anodic oxidation -- oxygen released at the anode starts out in its monovalent form, which is hugely reactive.

Another more mundane possibility is that your storage jar lid has rusted, contaminating the solution with iron. If so, that could affect the quality of your nickel film.

For future use I'd suggest storing chemical solutions like that in glass jars with plastic lids or in plastic bottles. I prefer glass because plastic can absorb some things and cause problems if you re-use them for something else; but you need the right kind of lid. Ones that use a plastic-coated paper gasket break down pretty fast.

Back