VINTAGE LATHE RESTORATION

Yes, a three and four jaw chuck that should thread onto the spindle, the smaller ones are probably held with the four jaw to work smaller pieces. With what you have there, and a HSS (high speed steel) bit you should be able to start making chips.

Unless things are seriously frozen up I would not recommend taking anything apart before running it. Of course make sure to oil all the moving surfaces, and especially make sure you have lubrication at the spindle bearings since that can ruin things in a hurry if you don't but from the picture you posted it may be in close to operational condition.

I can highly recommend this US Navy manual for general information on using machine tools.

https://maritime.org/doc/pdf/machinery-repairman.pdf

If you really want to get into refurbishing it here is a good write-up on doing so with a 1954 South Bend lathe.

Most lathes of this era are fairly similar so knowledge about one often transfers to another. Take it slow and ask lots of questions, this forum is a great resource with helpful people around the world who have been where you are before. My first (real) lathe was/is a Seneca Falls Star 9" and given patience and good set-up these older machines can do quite fine work.

I think you will be happy with your find, if you don't have a source for HSS bits you could always grind down a broken drill bit to get started.

Cheers,

John

One of the first tools you'll need is a dial indicator with a magnetic base and adjustable stand like this one.

No need for an expensive one to start out, you will need something to tell you how accurate your spindle is and for centering work in the four jaw chuck.

A digital caliper will be needed too, here's a decent low cost unit.

Cheers,

John

Back