Vintage South Bend Drill Press 14b2a Dph-101a

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I had the very good fortune to meet a new bunch of friends yesterday in the Sacramento area.
A like minded group of guys, that were just a pleasure to be around. The members of the group are also members here on the HM forum, which makes it that much nicer to put a face to the name!
Member TAWP Tool, was offering lots of neat tooling and equipment for sale at excellent prices.
we struck great deals on some horizontal milling cutters, a laser level, a really cool turret head for a drill press, and not least, a beautiful south bend 14" drill press!!!
2016-07-31.jpg

2016-07-31.jpg

the machine was originally sold back east and somehow made the long trip from NJ to CA!
it has a functioning internal lamp socket, great feature!
2016-07-31.jpg

There is a speed change pulley that was missing from the machine that would have allowed 16 speeds,
well- it now runs on 4 speeds....
2016-07-31.jpg

2016-07-31.jpg

I removed the motor pulley ,inverted it and reinstalled it.
i took a piece of string and ran it round the pulleys similar to how the belt is run in the picture above.
i added an inch to the string length and cut the string off, then measured the string.
in my case a 4L460 belt was what the doctor ordered!
i found one at the local ACE Hardware store for less than $9.
i adjusted the motor tension stop to have a very nice belt tension.
A very cool feature of the drill press is the unique method of chuck key storage, it's in the motor tensioner!
how cool is that?

2016-07-31.jpg

after getting it running i couldn't let well enough alone, i started scraping the table...
2016-07-31.jpg

i swept the table and found a lot of low spots (.001"-.002"), fortunately there were no high spots of any consequence.
the table will serve many more great years of service!
i made a video tour of the drill press,
if you got nothing better to do for the next 4:03, you could take a peek!

thanks for reading and watching, if you had the stomach for it!:grin:

Thanks Dave, it's a really cool old machine- just up my alley!

stay tuned for the DC motor conversion, coming soon!!!

If that's you in the video you look nothing like your avatar.
Robert

the camera must be out of focus, or i gotta accept the fact that i have a face fit for Radio! :grin:

Nice drilling machine!! Has a lot of nice features that are not immediately obvious. Reprints of how to run a Shaper and Drill press used to be available from Lindsay Publishing. It contains full instructions for your drill press with info on alternative drilling milling and polishing spindles.

Is the upper front round head a casting material or sheet metal ? Do you have a spare parts drawing and list can share with me ? Thanks.

Back