VIS 8" Level: Disassembly/Repair help

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, get ready for it.... I knocked my Starrett 98 8" level off the lathe when getting her moved onto the rods I had epoxied into the floor. I had forgot where I put it and it came crashing onto the floor to remind me. :panic: Yes, I've already kicked myself numerous times. I wondered if getting a replacement vial for the Starrett was worth it or see if I could find a more sensitive level for only a few $ more. The replacement vials are about what I paid for the level itself to begin with! Finding this VIS solved that question. I managed to luck out and find this VIS 8" level on Ebay that I won for $70 shipped. It's in pretty good condition and the underneath is pristine. The only thing wrong is the view window has a slight bit of haze so reading the bubble's not that easy. There's 4 screws holding a top plate down onto the body, should I just remove these and see what's what? Before I attempt to disassemble this I was wondering if anyone here has taken one of these apart and would be kind enough to key me in on this. Thanks.

I don't know what a VIS is but I have opened and adjusted a Starrett and a Enco level. They are simple. The hardest thing to get is a level surface to perform the re-adjustments on. I say just for it.

JJ
San Antonio

No need to have a level surface to calibrate levels. Just rotate it on your flat surface. There will always be one direction that shows level. Draw a line along the level, and flip it around to line up with that line. Adjust it so that when referencing that line, the bubble isn't in a different spot with the level pointed either direction.

Now you can use it to level that unlevel flat surface.

Hi, Dave from Fowler here. We sold VIS levels for years, they have since gone out of business. You can remove the 4 top cover screws to gain access to the vial adjustment. It is best to start on a level surface. There is a slotted screw for the vial adjustment. If you are on a level surface and the base is not damaged (check for rocking, there may be a burr on a corner if it rocks. You can just knock it off with a fine file and that may do the trick) the bubble should read in the middle when you rotate it 180 degrees to the same position. Adjust the screw accordingly . Sometimes if the base is damaged you may have to find a happy medium and settle for a division or two of difference when you rotate it.
Hope this was helpful.

Back