Vise advice

Theron751

Registered
Registered
Hello all, extremely new to this so bear with.
I purchased an Atlas MF horizontal mill at auction after inspecting it. I believe everything is functional and in good condition. I used a friends lathe and made a draw bar according to the drawing in downloads and think I am ready to go. My question is what is the best vise to use on this machine? It came with a complete 1" arbor and I have a 3/8 and 1/2" end mill holders coming.

Attachments

• 20210906_120005.jpg
    20210906_120005.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210906_120016.jpg
    20210906_120016.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210906_120024.jpg
    20210906_120024.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210906_120033.jpg
    20210906_120033.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
Nice machine, I have an MF as well just a little earlier than yours by the looks of it. The challenge may be to find a vise of decent quality that isn’t too big — the table as you know isn’t huge and you don’t want to take all of it up with a vise. I was lucky and found a fairly low profile one on eBay that fits nicely but you can’t always rely on the right one being for sale when you want one.

I also use a 2” precision grinding vise (the screwless kind that tightens with an Allen cap screw) which is a decent size match as well. To make mounting it easier and so as not to have to fuss with strap clamps all the time you could mount the vise to a secondary base that has holes drilled and then just use bolts into the T-nuts.

-frank

Nice machine, I have an MF as well just a little earlier than yours by the looks of it. The challenge may be to find a vise of decent quality that isn’t too big — the table as you know isn’t huge and you don’t want to take all of it up with a vise. I was lucky and found a fairly low profile one on eBay that fits nicely but you can’t always rely on the right one being for sale when you want one.

I also use a 2” precision grinding vise (the screwless kind that tightens with an Allen cap screw) which is a decent size match as well. To make mounting it easier and so as not to have to fuss with strap clamps all the time you could mount the vise to a secondary base that has holes drilled and then just use bolts into the T-nuts.

-frank
Thanks for replying. I am wondering if yours rotates and if that is helpfull in
Operations. Also could you recomend brands? I have always been of the school to buy the best you can afford and a vise is one item I believe would apply.

Thanks for replying. I am wondering if yours rotates and if that is helpfull in
Operations. Also could you recomend brands? I have always been of the school to buy the best you can afford and a vise is one item I believe would apply.

No worries :)

It did come with a swivel base but I took it off to save height. I don’t think I’ve ever put it back on even once. As for brands, the screwless one I have is an offshore one of which there are lots to choose from. Maybe have a look at some of the offerings at LittleMachineShop, he usually carries decent stuff and they will at least be in the size bracket you’re looking for. Someone else may have some other recommendations too.

-frank

I have a US Machine Tools #1 horizontal mill similar in size to your Atlas. I recently purchased a Vevor 4" vise on a swivel base on eBay. I ran through all the measurements There's a write up on mine on page 644 of the "what did you buy today" thread.

There are several other threads about vises, but you'll need to do a search to find them.

Back