Vise destruction test

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This video popped up on another search, and I found it interesting to see the construction, and weaknesses of different vises. I cannot afford any of these but it was interesting.

Interesting video but totally impractical. I don't think any member would be doing that to their vise.
To have all those tools and equipment he must be made of money or his tool business is doing really well.
I must admit he does sell some very useful tooling.

This is a new one from just this weekend I think! I love his destructive tests, but others are pretty right: most people don't really abuse their vises that much. THOUGH, you might abuse someone else's :D

One thing he DIDN'T mention is how ugly that jaw-casting is on the WIlton! For that much money, it shouldn't just have 1 side 1/4" lower than the other.

The one that shocked me was how poorly built the Morgan vise was. Thats basically harbor-freight quality, 1920's design, and space-ship prices. I was quite disappointed!

I really liked his explainations about the design weaknesses of the other vises/how he designed his to avoid those!

That said, when I get around to it, I'm going to try to build my own vise to be much like the "Orange Bench Vise". It won't take the beating that any of these 3 will, but I find it too cool to not try. Plus, I'm not going to be wailing on a vise much.

Impressive! Much more vise than I would ever need though.

I don't think I would have been walking around a piece of caste iron under 30k lb of pressure. Let alone 90k. A piece can fly off of that with the force of a bullet.

I don't have anything against the guy, but destructive tests on bench vises are stupid. Bench vises aren't meant to be a press, and they aren't meant to hold something that's being hit with a hammer. Yes, people incorrectly use them that way, but that's a different topic. This is like taking ten compact cars and loading them down with lead until you find out the order in which they start breaking parts....it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

In the last video on breaking vises I was laughing because he was testing mostly cheap vises but he didn't subject his Starrett bench vise (it was in the background) to the tests for some reason. Oh right, it's a really nice vise, they're worth a pretty good penny and you can't buy a new one. His test would have destroyed it, for no reason at all...sure, maybe it would have lasted longer, but it still would have been ruined.

This is just PR to sell his new vise.

I don't have anything against the guy, but destructive tests on bench vises are stupid. Bench vises aren't meant to be a press, and they aren't meant to hold something that's being hit with a hammer. Yes, people incorrectly use them that way, but that's a different topic. This is like taking ten compact cars and loading them down with lead until you find out the order in which they start breaking parts....it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

In the last video on breaking vises I was laughing because he was testing mostly cheap vises but he didn't subject his Starrett bench vise (it was in the background) to the tests for some reason. Oh right, it's a really nice vise, they're worth a pretty good penny and you can't buy a new one. His test would have destroyed it, for no reason at all...sure, maybe it would have lasted longer, but it still would have been ruined.

This is just PR to sell his new vise.

Eh, I think the destructive tests are at least interesting. I definitely know shops where breaking a benchvise is pretty common, particularly welding shops (which is his intended market) and auto-shops. Its not at all uncommon for someone (whose employer bought the vise :) ) to go hog-wild smacking at things in order to get the job done. Of course a home-gamer that spent that much on a vise wouldn't abuse it like that, but in a job shop, its really not uncommon.

That said, "Bench vises aren't meant to be a press": I'm pretty sure MANY of us have used a vise as a press in the past, its pretty common to do so. And holding things we're hitting with a hammer is ALSO a very common thing to do with a vise. It might not be what they are generally 'meant' for, but its definitely what they are often eventually used for.

One thing I REALLY like about his vise building videos: He takes real-world common uses for a vise (despite not being what they are 'designed' for), and tests/builds around it. Because of that, I think the design criteria for his vise greatly exceed what many other manufactures design around.

Is his vise meant for a home-gamer? Of course not, he's designing for a shop that has a bunch of wrench-monkeys that'll beat it to heck and back. Same as the rest of his gear... he sells a 10k+ welding table/set. Are you or I going to buy that? No, but a big welding shop totally will if they are impressed with what he offers.

Back