Vise for a Aamco shaper

Kevin J

Registered
Registered
Had the good fortune? to buy an Aamco 7" shaper. After throwing an inordinate amount of time and money at it, functions well and will stay. I'm having some trouble picking a suitable vise to go with the shaper. It came with a Skinner 3-1/2A. A very nice vise but this one is the most horribly damaged tool I have ever seen. I have a 7" Lewis shaper vise that I had stored butnow it seems far too large and heavy for this machine. Has anyone used one of the 3" or 4" Kurt Chinese clones on their small shapers? What are other options? A response I saw in this shaper section mentioned a heavy duty Palmgren drill press vise with a swivel base that I liked.
would like to hear your input on appropriate vises for this machine.

Curious if you plan to add a machined stub like the original Aamco vise (and the above link) to mount to the shaper table?

If you watch the Rudy K. vid he has a two piece vise that I think is shop made as it seems the rest of the shaper is. My Atlas 7b came with the original vise and while handy, the swivel is not. I'm not sure what I'd need it for as it just ate up vertical clearance and also added possible "flex". And in my case something had happened to it and it wasn't square/flat. I fixed that but have left the swivel off as I don't need it. In search of trying to approximate Rudy's vise I've made a 4" backstop and a couple of table dogs that I use in conjunction with some toe clamps I picked up. I've gotten to where the vise is only used in about 50% of my setups. And if I didn't have it I could probably get by without it. Of course YMMV but that's my 2c.

If you wanted to make one here is a pdf file for the Ammco shaper vise. It has all the pertinent dimensions. I don't know where I found or who to attribute the design to.

Attachments

• ShaperVise.pdf
    536.2 KB · Views: 257
Back