Vise for Bridgeport

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Good mprning folks - i just bought a series 1 bridgeport (1 hp - step pulley) and now i meed a vise. i'll post some pictures later today of the machine itself.

i currently have an older Palmgren 4" vise (4" wide, little over 4" opening, 1" high jaws). it has no handle but is mounted to a swivel base. This, I think, is a low profile vise originally intended for a benchmaster mill. it has some scars on the top of the jaws from an introduction to an end mill :.

I may have an opportunity to buy an older 6" Kurt anglelock without a handle. Condition looks pretty good but I haven't seen it in person yet. The Kurt does not have a swivel base.

The Palmgren is'currently mine so no effective cost. The Kurt is 2 hours away but is priced under $200.

Will the Palmgren serve me well in a hobby environment or should i be jumping on the Kurt? I think I know the answer but I woild like to avoid the additional cost if it makes sense. How important/nice to have is a swivel base in a millimg environmemt?

Thanks for your thoughts
Rick

Rick,

The 4" Palmgren will be a little light and small for a Bridgeport and even in a hobby situation there will be times when you'll need the extra size. The swivel feature of a vise is nice to have, but not a necessity. I have a 5" Kurt on mine and it's an ideal size for the BP. The 6" is nice once it's on the machine, but a real back breaker to lift on and off. Try Plaza Machinery for vises. They seem to have a good assortment of used stuff as well as good prices.

Tom

So when I buy something used I like to take it apart and clean it up - is there any magic to disassembling a Kurt and putting it back together. Your probably thinking why doesn't he just make a decision before worrying about cleaning - well here's what followed me home today

KurtVise.jpg

I spent most of the afternoon driving to grab this vise - gas - $40, vise - $175, 6 hours in the car with my wife - Priceless.
Rick

KurtVise.jpg

Quick and dirty description Rick:
-Take the two jaws off, screws are recessed in them
-Take the rear fixed jaw off, there are two large SHCS on the bottom that hold it on.
-Screw the vise close until the movable jaws disengages from the screw then pull it off. You will have 3 pieces separate.
-There is a collar just behind the hex part of the screw, remove setscrew then turn off the collar to remove the large screw, there is a thrust bearing in there so be careful pulling it out.

thanks guys for the info - looks like standard vise construction - no magic involved :.

Just a note that a lot of folks kept'saying get a Kurt vise and I simply didn't get it. I've played with a numner of different vises rece tly and I have to say just the feel of a Kurt seems to put it in a different class. I think I'm a believer.

Rick

So when I buy something used I like to take it apart and clean it up - is there any magic to disassembling a Kurt and putting it back together. Your probably thinking why doesn't he just make a decision before worrying about cleaning - well here's what followed me home today

KurtVise.jpg

I spent most of the afternoon driving to grab this vise - gas - $40, vise - $175, 6 hours in the car with my wife - Priceless.
Rick

Nice set of jaws with a groove in your vise, mounted upside down.

KurtVise.jpg

I think you made the right decision in buying the Kurt. I also have a 6-inch and have found it to be much better than my old Bridgeport vice. Oh, by the way, you can relocate the vice jaw to the end of the vice and get a lot more capacity.

Back