Vise guide rods - what steel?

GreyhawkUSA30340

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I inherited a rusty old no-name 3" vise - one of the two 9/16" guide rods is bent (so the vise doesn't work). Probably easier to just replace the rod than to try to bend it back straight, but what steel alloy would be appropriate for this application?

yeah, I know I'm overthinking it, haha!

Go to the McMaster page. You will find se real options for that size. Run a file over existing rods to see how hard they are. If it is not going to have heavy use. A softer rod might work better.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Aw, come on man. Take the challenge and try to straighten it. It might end up straight and think of your new found skills. :encourage:

Case hard chromed round linear rail stock?

51bWwYefAjL._SX522_.jpg

A311/1144/Stressproof should work as well.

Here's how it would go in my shop:

Bent vise bar, replace both or try to straighten?
- Replace
Two rusty vise bars, toss or save?
- Obviously too good to throw away so save.

One year later...
Need stock, buy new or check scrap bin?
- Check scrap first.
Find two bars, one bent, straighten or buy new?
- Straighten, obviously. What am I, made of money?

;)

Ok guys, I took the vise apart, pulled the bent guide rod (top) out of the moving jaw - it's just a push fit with some knurling/splines to increase the friction. The straight guide rod (bottom) had stuck in the fixed jaw (rust, whatever) and pulled out of the moving jaw when someone had opened the vise (so the knurling/splines supposedly holding it in to moving jaw didn't really work all that well). I think they tried to use it (hard) with just the top guide rod, and that's probably when the rod got bent. Anyway, I drove the bottom guide rod out of the back jaw, cleaned it up, and installed it in the top opening on the front jaw, and now I'm "using" the vise with just one guide rod. Not abusing.... Anyway the guide rods are easily cut with a file, and probably just some mild steel would be an acceptable replacement (I mean, come on, this is just a little light-weight 3" vise). BUT it occurs to me that trying to straighten the existing bent rod might be a good excuse to purchase a new tool (costing 5 or 10 times or more what replacing the whole vise would cost) -- I mean who doesn't need a good arbor press, or perhaps a hydraulic shop press??? :cool:

BUT it occurs to me that trying to straighten the existing bent rod might be a good excuse to purchase a new tool (costing 5 or 10 times or more what replacing the whole vise would cost) -- I mean who doesn't need a good arbor press, or perhaps a hydraulic shop press??? :cool:

Yes sir, you're figuring it out just fine.

Back