Vise install on vertical mill table

Creativechipper

Registered
Registered
Looking to get a small vise mounted to a vertical milling slide on my lathe.

Picked up a small vise and the mounting hardware is to small to fit. I thought about it for a day and figured I could make up some spacers to use as mounts. Is this the correct way to go about this?

Attachments

• IMG_6194.JPG
    IMG_6194.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6195.JPG
    IMG_6195.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 64
Hi neighbor! Make some t-nuts to fit the t-slots of the mill table, threaded to fit the vise hold down bolts. If you need help with that, contact me by PM (private mail), called "conversations" on this forum. To get there, go to the top right of this or any page and click on the envelope to the right of your user name, and then send me a message. I am happy to help you if you want or need it.

If you put a slight piece of flat material on your vise across 2 of those hold down bolts the size of your slot, the vise would be somewhat squared up on that table you are mounting on. Otherwise, what you have made will do.

The round pieces in the slots look they were made to do the job, but it also looks like the width between the table slots does not match the width between the vise bolt holes. That could be addressed, but it is long winded to explain here. Have you tried anything so far? Is any of that work yours?

Hello Bob, your just down the hill from me..lol Thanks for the offer, I am trying to get er done , but I may have to take you up on the offer if I cant make it work.
Thanks for the replies!!
I did notice the alignment issue of vise holes to table slots spacing. I think I can make the nipple of the bushing smaller so the hole can raise from center to top in the T slot. Maybe? IDK yet as I stopped due to no .80 tap. Always another tool to get...haha

Picked up the vise off the ebay. Hopefully be able to add capacity to do some light milling to make some lil vises and stuff.

I would really like it if my vertical slide could hold a collet chuck facing my spindle. Or if I could raise and lower my tail stock with the collet chuck in it for drilling stock off center.

Last edited:
I see the vise can hold round stock cross way to the spindle. How do you hold a round bar off center but inline with spindle of the lathe to machine the ends?

Has anyone fixed a collet chuck to something like a tool holder for the slides in the table ?

If you built nuts just like the ones in the slots in the picture, and then drilled and tapped holes to fit the screws, but offset as much as you can from center, then you will be able to line everything up. The piece should fit fairly snug in the table t-slots while still being able to slide around freely, but the neck of it should not reach the top of the table, or when the bolt pulls it up, the vise will clamp to the nut before the nut tightens against the top of the t-slot. With the vise tightened down, you must be able to see a gap between the nut and the vise, or you will not be clamping to the table.

Thanks Bob, I get it on the T nut not going flush for clamping power. The table is off a bit as the next T slot row up has a different depth on the nipple, kinda crazy but it was cheap.

Back