Vise mounting

My vise also has keys to fit the table slot. I wouldn't want a vise that wasn't keyed.
Ibought the mill, vise and a lot of tooling for what I beleive was a very fair price. Kind of the hand I was dealt but thank you for your response

Try carriage bolts to hold down your vice, measure the T slot top width. You'll have to grind the head to fit the big slot but it's cheaper and quick.

Try carriage bolts to hold down your vice, measure the T slot top width. You'll have to grind the head to fit the big slot but it's cheaper and quick.

With all due respect, I would be careful about using carriage bolts on a cast milling table. I have seen damage to the bottom of the slot casting from these bolts. Best to use T-nuts or T-bolts to fasten down the vise.

For each of my vises I manufacture a thick washer and buy a grd 8 bolt, and cut it to the length I need. No chance of bottoming out on the T nut, and always have the hold down for each vise on the vise. Saves time. Saves hassle.

With all due respect, I would be careful about using carriage bolts on a cast milling table. I have seen damage to the bottom of the slot casting from these bolts. Best to use T-nuts or T-bolts to fasten down the vise.

What, no cheater bar? Good caution, I don't gronk anything. There is a name uttered when loosening swaybrace nuts on ejector racks

Thanks, As it turned out I had the proper tnuts, studs, and nuts were included. Thanks again!!

I have used carriage bolts on my mill/drill. The flats on carriage bolts are tapered. You need to take out the taper. I buy bolts where the threads barely fit in the slot. 5/8 in my case. The flats are bigger which I mill to an exact fit in the slot with no taper. You also have to grind sides of the head to fit and the top of the head too. I have not noticed any problems so far.

Don't put that swivel base away where it will only collect dust. My lathe came with a plate with the same 1 1/2 x 8 tpi as my chucks. I converted this to fit on the swivel base. I now have a poor mans rotary table. So far I been able get any angle that I need.

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG

I keyed my vise. It stays pretty accurate if I remove and replace it.

Back