Vise Setup

Nyala

Registered
Registered
I've spent the last couple of weeks getting my new PM-25 setup. I trimmed the head today and went to setup the vise that I had. The vise is a 4" vise with precision movement in X and Y axis. I inherited it from my father so I don't have a clue as to make, etc. Clamping locations are on the sides and one end. However, when I mount the vise with the jaws parallel to the X axis the end clamping location overhangs the table and reduces Y axis movement. I can turn it 90 degrees and it appears that it will mount just fine.

My question is, does this affect anything in the long run? In every video that I've watched, the vise jaws DO NOT run parallel to the Y axis, so, as a newbie, I need to know if this is a problem.

Thank you.

Denny

No , it's not a problem , but parallel to X is the norm in most instances . The vise nor the machine won't know how it's located , so do what works . Could you put a swivel base under it to gain clearance ?

That sounds like a grinding vise or screwless vise. If so, there are numerous clamping options depending on if the vise has slots on the sides or holes. How are you clamping it? Can you show us a picture?

The other thing to consider is buying a 3" vise, which may be more suitable for the table you have.

Thank you for the feedback.

After reading your comments I went back and reexamined the vise. I now believe that it is unsuited to the needs of a milling machine and will relegate it to my drill press. I think that I was anxious to get it mounted so that could start making chips that I overlooked its faults. A new vise will be ordered today.

Thanks again.

Back