Vise Sine Keys on MVN

Don't waste your time on sine keys, once installed on the vise you still have to tram the vise in anyways. So the sine keys are a waste of money and time. All they do is get you close. Close is not really good enough.

Plus you’d have to lift your vise or vises into position and off. No sliding. I have those but are in my misc. drawer. Like said if you want precise you’ll have to indicate either way. You want mine?

Thanks all for ideas and input, I ended up with a lower cost universal set from Jergens. They will fit three slot sizes. After using them a while I may just take them off (and no I do not mind lifting the Kurt on and off it is not that heavy).
If I do take them from the vise I will use them for some other table attachments.
I do notice the size I list in original post is not for the 11/16 milrite table size, after getting the Jergens I found that slot size and sine key size has some "slop".

In looking at Burke MVN specifications I find the table slots are 11/16" or 0.6875".
Sine keys listed various places spec out at 0.6870 but the one set I bought are closer to the 0.688" side of things.
My table slots measure more to be closer to 0.6873" so the keys do not fit the slots.
So the store bought keys are a maximum of .0007" too wide per the numbers you posted. That amount is easily removed by rubbing the sides of the keys on a bench stone. I do not like the fit of factory made keys and also do not like that they are hardened, which can cause damage to the t-slots. So I make my own from mild steel to the fit I think is correct. It is an easy job, and is also an ideal project for a neophyte machinist.

Back