Vise size for PM935t

I actually went with the same sort of covers for my 935 table as well after seeing it on Mike's and made way-covers for my lathe with what I had left over. I just wanted to inject that Tractor Supply has the stuff in a few thickness as well if that's easier which is where I got mine.

I'll also add the mistake I made was finalizing the neoprene before I had finalized the vise position. I had the lathe excessively right limiting me on cutting from the right. When I ooched it left, I was out of neoprene so the rectangle I cut off the piece on the left came around and filled in on the right side. I also have a could of squares of it protecting the Kurt. Probably overkill but it was easy so it happened.

CW

Good point. I keep my vises centered on the table and there is only a slight difference in the width of the bases between my Glacern 5" and Kurt 6" so whichever vise I happen to have on the mill the neoprene covers will work. With the Kurt they merely protrude off the table about .75" on each side is all so no major differences.

I didn't even think about Tractor Supply, I have one right down the road from me. Thanks for the info for future needs.

Mike

Hmmm...guess I need to make a trip to Tractor Supply. Thanks for the heads up CW. :)

Good point. I keep my vises centered on the table and there is only a slight difference in the width of the bases between my Glacern 5" and Kurt 6" so whichever vise I happen to have on the mill the neoprene covers will work. With the Kurt they merely protrude off the table about .75" on each side is all so no major differences.

I didn't even think about Tractor Supply, I have one right down the road from me. Thanks for the info for future needs.

Mike

Mike.. let me try and learn something here. What do you get from using two different vises? If the K6 is on the mill, what reason can pop up to cause the G5 to take a shift on the table? Thanks.

As to positioning, I was trying to be clever (waiting for people to stop laughing and regain control of their bowels... 3... 2... 1). Sorry to just spring that on people. Anyway my thought was to leave room to the left for my as-yet unpurchased rotary table so I could use that without pulling the vise (I'm currently ancient) or to have some deck area to attach directly to the table when it makes sense. Being a stark know-nothing rookie maybe this didn't really fly but one last thing is pure personal in that my right arm is stronger than my left (2 broken necks AND 2 broken backs.. P-A-R-T-Y!!!) and that's a better lift for me.. vise displaced somewhat right.

Bill... One quick heads up is to look closely at Mike's neoprene or save it on your phone for when you're at TS. Their neoprene is a bit more visibly "porous" and granular... like it needs to be annealed:) I'm fine with it and it has held up very well but it looks "less perfect". I don't really.. you know.. wax my mill so, like.. works for me:)

CW

I used a 6" vise on my previous benchtop mill similar in size to a RF45, and now on my full size knee. Seemed to work well on either mill. I keep my vise centered, but would like to get a second one to hold longer stock. I have a 42" table, so I am able to throw the rotary table on either side of the chuck for occasional use. My only reservation of putting rubber sheet directly onto the mill table is that any moisture or water based coolant mist getting between the sheet and table would cause rust. I also use a stop system that is mounted in the T slot. Still would like some protection to the table, will probably end up with some HDPE sheet at some point. I plane to have it sit a little above the table on rails that will fit in the T slots, and maybe modular so I can mount my stop in one T slot.

I have found that I really don't like using a vise on my mill.

When I first got my mill, it came with a clamp set and I have since bought more clamp sets and that I have much greater flexibility using the toe clamps than the vise.

That sad. there is an AR lower on the vise right now that I should be out making into chips!

When this lower is finished, the vise will come back off and my spindex will go on the left side of the table freeing the right side for toe clamps.

Mike.. let me try and learn something here. What do you get from using two different vises? If the K6 is on the mill, what reason can pop up to cause the G5 to take a shift on the table? Thanks.

As to positioning, I was trying to be clever (waiting for people to stop laughing and regain control of their bowels... 3... 2... 1). Sorry to just spring that on people. Anyway my thought was to leave room to the left for my as-yet unpurchased rotary table so I could use that without pulling the vise (I'm currently ancient) or to have some deck area to attach directly to the table when it makes sense. Being a stark know-nothing rookie maybe this didn't really fly but one last thing is pure personal in that my right arm is stronger than my left (2 broken necks AND 2 broken backs.. P-A-R-T-Y!!!) and that's a better lift for me.. vise displaced somewhat right.

Bill... One quick heads up is to look closely at Mike's neoprene or save it on your phone for when you're at TS. Their neoprene is a bit more visibly "porous" and granular... like it needs to be annealed:) I'm fine with it and it has held up very well but it looks "less perfect". I don't really.. you know.. wax my mill so, like.. works for me:)

CW

CW, there really is no real reason per se of using my 6" then switching over to the 5". I had originally purchased the GMT 5" new when I purchased the mill then later ran across a good Kurt 6" vise. The 6" is usually the one on the mill but I occasionally switch just to show the Glacern some machining love. I also like having a back up. This is an inside joke between my wife and I. When I remove the Kurt to either clamp work directly to the table or use the rotary table, I will sometimes throw the Glacern back on afterwards. Again, no reason other than to use both.

I also agree with Mark's comment about moisture if using a water based coolant but I have no issues there as I don't use a coolant system nor water based coolant. When I removed my neoprene covers to either clean or to clamp directly to the table the surface is like new with no corrosion or buildup of any sort. I attribute the neoprene covers to the table remaining new looking.

As for the rubber @ Tractor Supply, I stopped yesterday on the way home to pick up a few bolts and decided to look at the rubber matting and it definitely is much more porous and less dense than the stuff I purchased from McMaster Carr but I am sure it would work.

Mike

Back