Vise squareness question

I bought several cheaper vices, some of which didn't seem that cheap, before I bought a good quality vice and that did make a massive difference to the ease with which I could machine things square and to size.
Good quality is rarely cheap but can still be good value!

As hobbyists we may want to do the best, most precise , nicest finish that we can because we take pride in what we are doing and see a lot of substandard, disposal , under engineered products around us. - I don't see anything wrong with that attitude !:D

As hobbyists we may want to do the best, most precise , nicest finish that we can because we take pride in what we are doing and see a lot of substandard, disposal , under engineered products around us. - I don't see anything wrong with that attitude !:D
Simply "because we can." I only make things to please myself, and have zero problems with that, whether they are quick and dirty or very carefully made and finished. Hobbies and jobs are two completely separate things. I did the latter for 5 decades, now I only do the former, whenever and however I want to... Also, the name of this forum states who it is aimed towards, so no regrets required whatsoever.

Simply "because we can." I only make things to please myself, and have zero problems with that, whether they are quick and dirty or very carefully made and finished. Hobbies and jobs are two completely separate things. I did the latter for 5 decades, now I only do the former, whenever and however I want to... Also, the name of this forum states who it is aimed towards, so no regrets required whatsoever.
What he said

I made 3 milling vices in the past of various sizes.. The first one was 2" wide for bench work. The removable jaws were milled flat so they would be 90° to the vice bottom. No problems there as no milling involved, just made to hold small parts . The second vice was a 4" wide by 1-1/4" high for the mill. Made the same way as the first vice. I had a problem with the work slipping in the vice occasionally. I read somewhere that milling the replaceable jaws to a 2° angle will solve the problem. I tried it and it worked for me. If you think your vice works better with square to the base jaws, mill a pair of flat jaws and install them. First after removing the replaceable ones ,check the vice for squareness. The vice itself may be made out of square . I would think the slight tilt is for the same reason that a woodworkers bench dogs are made with the same slight tilt.
mike

Back