Visiting the Finnisk forest for a meal

Norppu

Registered
Registered
Since it is autumn, the forest is loaded with mushrooms. Some are delicious, some are bad and some are dangerous.
I believe the Finnish forest is one of the native things for any finnnish guy. It is also quite different unless You come from Scandinavia or Canada.
In the video I pick up some delicious shrooms and make a meal out of them, hardened with swedish meatballs.

With all the rain that we have had, it has been a very good year for mushrooms. However, I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to mushrooms and the only wild mushroom that I will pick and eat is the morel. Even the experts can be fooled by look-alikes and I am no expert.

That is so true. Lookalikes are a real danger.
When it comes to morel, we have a very similar mushroom in Finland. This one is growing in the spring and it is deadly poisonous. Still. it can be eaten if it is either totally dried (the poison is volatile) or it is cooked two times disposing the water. This mushroom is sold in Finnish markets raw and there are cases when tourists have died since they did not realize it MUST be prepared before eaten. Now the sellers musta have proper warnings and handling instructions visible.

Gyromitra esculenta in Wikipedia

We refer to that mushroom as the false morel or brain mushroom. I have found both it and the true morel. If you observe closely the differences are obvious.

Domestic cultivation of morels has been an elusive goal. The University of Michigan had some early success. In the wild, they only fruit for a few weeks in Spring. They are commonly sold in local farmer's markets for $8/ lb. (€4/kg). I have read historic accounts of the peasants in Europe burning down forests to encourage the growth of morels.

Back