VN Vn #12-5000 Rebuild Is Complete

The building that I helped put up was 48x96. My friend and I put the thing up mostly by ourselves, with some help from his wife and occasional help from others. It was quite an adventure!
cr1.JPG cr2.JPG cr3.JPG cr4.JPG cr5.JPG

Cal

Boy that brought back some memories, we put it up the same way one pulling and one dallied off. Makes me pucker a bit just seeing the photos.
The guy that sold my friend the building told him that about 10 guys could put one up in a weekend. We tried that and couldn't even get an arch stood up; it was obvious that someone was going to get hurt. Maybe a bunch of apes could wrestle one of the smaller buildings up, but this one was way too big! 18 feet under the middle of the arch!

The lifting scaffold that I designed made it easy to stand up an arch, but we were plenty worried about the constant wind blowing the first few down. Then, after about 6 arches, we had problems with the arches spreading at the top to the point that things would no longer line up. Ahh, good times!

Do you have any photos of your lifting scaffold?

Cal

The lifting scaffold that I designed made it easy to stand up an arch, but we were plenty worried about the constant wind blowing the first few down. Then, after about 6 arches, we had problems with the arches spreading at the top to the point that things would no longer line up. Ahh, good times!

Do you have any photos of your lifting scaffold?

I probably have pictures somewhere but finding them is another thing as they would be prints. What we had was a flatbed truck with construction scaffold up on the bed. Mine was much smaller at 20X30.

OK. So you placed each part on the scaffold and bolted them together?

We bolted the arches together on the ground, tipped each arch up and then bolted it to the previous. Since we had about half of the arches already together on the ground (assembled in prep for the 10+ men who were to put the thing together in a weekend), it was the best choice. It took as a day or two per arch at first; by the end, we were doing 3 arches per day, weather permitting. Then we had to put up the end walls and tighten all 10,000 or so bolts. Ahh, such fun...

Cal

Congratulations on the VN, outwardd appearance looks good, It's a damn fine machine, with a lot of neat features. wish I'd never sold mine.Joe at Plaza Machinery usually has some collets and other items on hand, if you can't locate them here on the forum
olcopper

That is a great looking VN restore hope it serves you well , wish I could find one like that.

My building has 5500 bolts / nuts , what fun. I know this is a kinda old thread but did y'all insulate them

[QUOTE My building has 5500 bolts / nuts , what fun. I know this is a kinda old thread but did y'all insulate them[/QUOTE]

Yes this is an old post but being old is ok. I did not insulate mine as it only had one end wall, it was a farm out building. Did you insulate yours?

WELL DONE MY FRIEND, THE MILL AND THE BUILDING . I only wish I had the space to put one up . Have you made any thing on the van Norman yet? I'll bet you will enjoy it and all the open space in your building.

Back