VN VN 16 Overarm Woes

Just dropping in to say thanks for all the helpful input - I haven’t had a chance to put it in practice yet due to other responsibilities, but I’ll definitely try the dykem, lock mechanism cleaning/lube, and stoning off the high spots where/if necessary.

it sounds like you may be hitting a round cam lock that is tilted forward some and not out of the way---I know that the overarm on a small atlas horizontal mill will have same problem if the locking shaft is just not turned perfectly----measure in the shaft hole to the locking cam bar and see if it is approximately the same distance that your shaft is hanging up---if the problem is only 3/8 inch in then maybe there is just a small burr on upper side that happened when the shaft fell out---I would use a bright light and my fingernail or a piece of shim stock to see if I could find a tiny burr---I don't think the shaft has any problem if neither end will slip in---Dave

I got some time in the shop this weekend and managed to get this straightened out. After touching the end with a stone, it was clear that the mushrooming at the ends of the bar was the main problem - I measured it at the high spot that showed up after stoning, and the end of the bar was at 2.381 in, where the bore is 2.375. I stoned the end of the bar down using a new, clean 100-grit oil stone until it checked out at 2.375 all the way around the bar, looking at the lines from the stone to make sure I was cutting evenly.

The overarm support bar slides in smoothly now, although at the extreme end of its travel it binds a little. The support bracket needed a little attention too - someone painted the inside of the bore so I had to strip that out and hone it. There's a little more work to do, but I'm happy with where this is at for today.

Thanks again for the advice, I had been stuck on this one for a while!

2018-04-07 16.42.46.jpg
2018-04-07 17.07.38.jpg
2018-04-07 19.40.38.jpg

Back