VN 16 weight?

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anybody know what the approximate weight of a Van Norman #16 mill is?

Thanks

That's for a No. 16. The next generation, the 16L, 16M and 16S are taller and heavier.

Thanks guys. If the serial number starts with S, does that mean it's a 16S?

No, if it's an S, L, or M, it will have a plate on the front of the machine at the bottom of the base. Also, the SN tag should have the model as well. Post a picture, f you can. My 16S's sn is 4004.

Jason

Here's a few pics. This machine is in a local auction and I'm kicking tires on whether or not I want to bid on it. Weight factors into how I would move it (+/- partial disassembly) and if the slab in my shop will support it.

I'm not familiar with these machines, but this one looks to be in good shape from the brief inspection I was able to do. The shop its in was only in business for 3 years before declaring bankruptcy. The VN is obviously older than 3 years, but judging from their other equipment, I don't think it would be there if it was worn out.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

That is a 16s, complete with arbor supports. That machine weighs in the 2800 lb range. I would get it. Power feed on the quill, and on the x axis. It's either going to have a C taper, or 30 taper. C collets will be harder to get.

I have one, and really like it. If you have any questions, just ask.
IMG_20161029_190838864.jpg

Jason

That machine even has the extremely nice to have outboard support. They almost always are separated from the mill. It looks like it is on wood blocks, real easy to move with a pallet jack. What do you think it will sell for?

The VN C collets shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Worse case you turn/grind an adapter to make end mill holders instead of collets.

Daryl
MN

Back