VN 22L

ja_cain

Registered
Registered
New poster here. Interested in a Van Norman 22L that is for sale not too far from me. Looking to replace my Chinese mill/drill with something more ridged/larger work envelop and felt this was a great option since it can be converted from a vertical to horizontal mill quite easily/quickly. Looks to have all the necessary arbor supports and might even have the 50 taper. Guy said it was originally a government machine that was rebuilt and then never used. I have heard the VN might be a little limited in the knee travel, but not sure on the 22L. It would be cool to fit it with a BP J head and a DRO too if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Justin

00F0F_8uTU6EL752M_1200x900.jpg 00G0G_7jMZYJS2YFT_1200x900.jpg 00n0n_5AfZuE0dFPm_1200x900.jpg 00U0U_cLU9GUhvUmh_1200x900.jpg 00606_8S3EGCttXWn_1200x900.jpg 01111_5c2T8sWhiA8_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_8uTU6EL752M_1200x900.jpg

00G0G_7jMZYJS2YFT_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_5AfZuE0dFPm_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_cLU9GUhvUmh_1200x900.jpg

00606_8S3EGCttXWn_1200x900.jpg

01111_5c2T8sWhiA8_1200x900.jpg

Don't know a thing about it, but it sure looks solid doesn't it. I especially like the cup holder to the left of the spindle :grin:

How many $$$? What else comes with it? That horizontal arbor looks pretty nasty on the taper end, does it actually fit the machine?

Haven't been to look at it in person. He wants $3500, but I think I can talk him down since everyone is hot and heavy on the traditional knee mills.

Ah...
Don't know what you are planning to pay. That's a question you will need to address.
But, if you want a BP, then I might be willing to purchase this VN from you. She appears clean!
Get a good drill press and pass on the BP. Or keep your mill/drill and just use it a DP.
This will move alot more chips than a BP every will. Much more rigid potentially much more accurate. Also, heavier to move around.
Note she has hand wheels with rotary scales near the handwheels. Don't rush on buying a DRO. These actually work.
No sarcasm intended.
Sorry, my bias is showing.

Daryl
MN

Ah...
Don't know what you are planning to pay. That's a question you will need to address.
But, if you want a BP, then I might be willing to purchase this VN from you. She appears clean!
Get a good drill press and pass on the BP. Or keep your mill/drill and just use it a DP.
This will move alot more chips than a BP every will. Much more rigid potentially much more accurate. Also, heavier to move around.
Note she has hand wheels with rotary scales near the handwheels. Don't rush on buying a DRO. These actually work.
No sarcasm intended.
Sorry, my bias is showing.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the info! He is asking $3500. I can't wait to go and look at it in person and see how it feels under power. Also looking for a good lathe like a Monarch 10ee or hardinge hlv-h to replace the Chinese Grizzly lathe I have.

Btw, you guys are awesome! At least you replied fairly quickly. I haven't had one response over at PM and I posted this at 11 am. I've had 79 views and not one response. Thanks again for the responses! Will try to keep this thread updated as I pursue this.

Justin

That's what she'd go for in this MN market.
I don't know about yours.
50taper is much coveted.
She has the arbors. She looks clean.
Looks plug and play.
I tend to buy projects and sometimes do ok financially. Sometimes very poorly.
I've never used a Monarch, got to touch one once. Needed to wipe off my drool.
There are many good machines out there.
Just because something has a strong positive reputation doesn't make that make and model the best or appropriate for your needs.

Daryl
MN

Monarch and Hardinge (and many others) made lots of really high quality lathes that are not 10EE or HL-V. Expand your horizons, look for a great lathe at a great price...

Monarch and Hardinge (and many others) made lots of really high quality lathes that are not 10EE or HL-V. Expand your horizons, look for a great lathe at a great price...

Exactly (good point)! My buddy actually has one that is slightly larger than the 10ee that he loves. It also has the taper attachment. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears and much appreciate the info/advice!

Justin

Back