VN arbors wobbling

aaronpadilla

Registered
Registered
I bought these 4 adaptors for $250 CAD, seems to be custom made, I got a 3/4 shell mill adapter, an horizontal mill arbor and two other kinda short arbors, without keyway.

Shell Mill adaptor has clearly crashed in the past.

I check them and I got 2 mils wobbling on shell mill adaptor and about 4 mils for the others.

How bad is it?
DSC02838.JPG

DSC02837.JPG

DSC02839.JPG
DSC02840.JPG

DSC02844.JPG

Note: I didn't study the pics very hard.
If the mating surfaces are generally ok then a keyway can be gently TIG welded and ground on a TCG.
Haven't tried to mend a shaft off a collet but you might be able to sleeve and pin/TIG a new shaft.
At the very least consider holding on to it and tagging the bad ones out of service with specifics on what the problem is.
Even if you can't fix it today as soon as you send them down the road you will have need for them.

Daryl
MN

looks like one of them at least has been crashed. Carefully file/ dremel down the burrs you find and then retest.

Note: I didn't study the pics very hard.
If the mating surfaces are generally ok then a keyway can be gently TIG welded and ground on a TCG.
Haven't tried to mend a shaft off a collet but you might be able to sleeve and pin/TIG a new shaft.
At the very least consider holding on to it and tagging the bad ones out of service with specifics on what the problem is.
Even if you can't fix it today as soon as you send them down the road you will have need for them.

Daryl
MN

Hi Uglydog,

Very constructive comments, thank you.

Back