VN Bench Piston Grinder

You lucky bastard, Joe. I'm in Rockhampton, Qld, brother in Campbells Ck. Found out last time, that the RAN 4.5" guns, were made in Bendigo.
Lovely country.
That shop, just about makes me cry with lust....!

Oh, and bloody nice grinder, Hey!. Well done mate.

After many months of inconsistent work the machine is finally moving under its own power. There is still little items to complete before spark start flying.

Nice!

Is there anything special on this machine for grinding pistons, or is it pretty much a general purpose OD grinder?

Hi Cal,

The current table is capable of pistons, valves, and anything else for different angles and tapers.

The table in the bottom left corner of the screen, underneath the rack, has a cam-action to help grind piston skirts for example. It cannot do any angles or tapers.

The machine is a general OD grinder with the option for ID grinding, yet do not have the attachments.

Little did I know the grinder project would take over a year to complete.

Today I built some splash shields to contain the coolant. Due to my shop being relatively small (10x20) I didn’t want to constantly clean up a flood. The front splash shield has been made and fastened for easy removal to gain access to the work piece. The rear shield is more permanent.

I also made a small wheel dresser that is attached to the base of the tail stock. It seemed irrational to remove the work piece just the dress the wheel.

Finally built up the courage to run everything. First dressed the wheel then placed some scrap steel I had laying around. Was able to make contact and initiate first sparks.

Back