Vn Dividing Head Index Assembly

On mine one side has the two pins.
The other side has only one.
The side with one appears smaller.
I'd start by tapping the smaller side, read side with only one pin visible.

Daryl
:encourage::encourage: Just the information that I need.

Thank you,

My DH has the serial number 2-6183,
What is yours?

Last edited:
2-6038
Likely less hair and more wrinkles.

Daryl
MN

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, what turned out to be a very simple fix. The problem with the index assembly seemed to be 60+ years of abuse.
The handle assembly is NOT supposed to have a quarter turn and lock with the pin retracted feature.
I took a file to the knurl where the pin went through the handle to determine which side was the smaller. Then it was a simple matter of using a hammer and a very small punch to drive the pin out. Once the pin was out, I found the pin shaft had a bend in it that caused the lock in retracted position with a quarter twist. Also every internal & matting surface had burrs that had to be filed and or sanded. A little ATF for lube and it works as good as new.

bigearl and toag have very kindly suggested that do the same as you've done here. That is make a solution to difficult. They've gently suggest I find the simple solution that will work as well or perhaps better that all the complexities that I am always tempted to inject.

Congrats!!
Yesterday we got the VN22LU moved into place in my shop. Got a few hours of work to do before she is ready to make swarf.
However, I anticipate I'll be in touch looking for help on the VN gearbox in a few months.

Daryl
MN

bigearl and toag have very kindly suggested that do the same as you've done here. That is make a solution to difficult. They've gently suggest I find the simple solution that will work as well or perhaps better that all the complexities that I am always tempted to inject.

Congrats!!
Yesterday we got the VN22LU moved into place in my shop. Got a few hours of work to do before she is ready to make swarf.
However, I anticipate I'll be in touch looking for help on the VN gearbox in a few months.

Daryl
MN

I'm going to make a new pin, the existing one is bent on the upper section, between the alignment boss and the top of the handle assembly.

Daryl, That's great that you have the mill almost ready to go. I'll look in my notes on the mill. I seem to remember having a letter from the head maintenance person at VN and the original purchaser of my mill on how to some work / make adjustments on the mill. I think it had information on some tricks to get it all back together.

Moved into place is not quite the same as nearly operable.
It'll likely be a month, that's if I can contain the honey-do list...
If you find the letter, that'd be super helpful.

Also, now that you've got the pin apart, look what I found!

Daryl
MN

IMG_3579.JPG

Thank you for that patent sheet, it is the one I was missing. Well, I made a new pin, exactly like the one that was in the assembly. Turns out that the "original" one that I have is not really original, it was too long between the spring and the end. The result being that when pinned in place, retracting the pin from the plate would not allow enough clearance between the pin and the sector arms.

I'll email you the letter,

reeltor, (Mike)

I also found a diagram (no dimensions) for Van Norman Sub Head.
No measurements on anything.
But, I'm kinda wondering what it would take to build a Sub Head from scratch based on the diagram.
If I find enough over confidence, I wonder if anyone would like to collaborate on prints and the build.
Once a print with dimensions was agreed on, and tolerances established, it wouldn't matter who made which part. Collaborators could mail the parts.

To big of a wild scheme?

Daryl
MN

IMG_3582.JPG
Please note the attached pics, I should have included them in the prior post.
The notes indicate that this head will fit a 16, 24, 28, and 38.

Daryl
MN IMG_3581.JPG

Back