Vn Dividing Head Index Assembly

Cal,
These are hard copy original documents. I've got similar "Service Bulletins" for many other VN accessories including the hi-speed head, the small horizontal DH, slotter, rotary table and a vise. It's my intent to get decent scans and post them on HM and other unmentionable forums (no charge). I think I can legally do this as they are out of business. Correct? Regardless, it will be a few weeks.

I also picked up original "Service Bulletins" in the original 2inch B&E embossed binders for my Boye and Emmes lathes. Really excting!
I have an option on a black and white pic of the Van Norman cone line. He wants $100 for the pic.

Do you think it foolish to attempt a build from raw stock?
Please note I am not suggesting any of this will be easy.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

I'm not an expert on copyright, but it's my understanding that if the document was published before a certain date (IIRC some time in the 80's) AND it isn't marked as copyright, there's no problem. You can post portions of documents under "fair use" to further discussions, etc. Where you run into real problems is when you do something the deprives the owner of income from the copyright. Speaking generally, if there's nobody around to enforce a copyright by suing you, then you don't have too much to worry about. But again, that's just my understanding. Take the time to get yourself up to speed on copyright law, etc.

But, I look forward to seeing the docs!

I think that building a right angle attachment would be a very challenging project on many levels. (I bet you have lots of other projects where you time and money could be better spent.) The way my luck goes, if I undertook something like that, one would land in my lap when I was about 80% finished with my build...

Cal

I also found a diagram (no dimensions) for Van Norman Sub Head.
No measurements on anything.
But, I'm kinda wondering what it would take to build a Sub Head from scratch based on the diagram.
If I find enough over confidence, I wonder if anyone would like to collaborate on prints and the build.
Once a print with dimensions was agreed on, and tolerances established, it wouldn't matter who made which part. Collaborators could mail the parts.

To big of a wild scheme?

Daryl
MN

I only ever saw ONE subhead for sale on Ebay, and it went for over a thousand as I recall. I paid $500 or so for my #12, so I thought that would be kinda out of scale.

Nels

I noticed two were posted on Ebay in the the past several months.
Each far less than a $1000.
However, neither were particularly complete or clearly identified.
I'm still not necessarily deterred from this project.
Worst case, I've got several hundred hours into precision scrap.
If all goes according to plan, with DavidH as an inspiration, I'll be casting aluminum this summer.
And machining the internals this winter, with the gentle coaching of many here at HM I'm consistently holding .001 and working on .0005.

Will be fun.
Daryl
MN

Daryl,

I'm not an expert on copyright, but it's my understanding that if the document was published before a certain date (IIRC some time in the 80's) AND it isn't marked as copyright, there's no problem. You can post portions of documents under "fair use" to further discussions, etc. Where you run into real problems is when you do something the deprives the owner of income from the copyright. Speaking generally, if there's nobody around to enforce a copyright by suing you, then you don't have too much to worry about. But again, that's just my understanding. Take the time to get yourself up to speed on copyright law, etc.

But, I look forward to seeing the docs!

I think that building a right angle attachment would be a very challenging project on many levels. (I bet you have lots of other projects where you time and money could be better spent.) The way my luck goes, if I undertook something like that, one would land in my lap when I was about 80% finished with my build...

Cal

Daryl,

If you scan those docs in, go ahead and post them.

They are too old to cause a problem.
Plus, we are using them for educational rather than commercial use.
If anyone from VN complains, which I doubt, I will pull them.

I can also write VN (still exists but not to produce mills), and see if they have any issues.
I doubt they will.

Next time you see this thing on Ebay, let me know and we will try to get it.
If I get it, I will give you dimensions and pics.

Daryl,

I am working on trying to put a Universal High Speed Head back into service, and could sure use any info you might have. I want to take the transmission apart to clean all the old goo out, and as I am not an experienced millwright, I am not sure how it is put together. I surely do not want to break anything.

Ron

reh,
And I'm just a hack who has asked alot of annoying questions of the many, many good and patient people here and elsewhere, read some books, watched all the Tubalcain and Fenner videos. Then turned some handles until the wife came out to see if I was coming in for dinner.

After searching I finally found the documents. I never did get to a professional scanner like I'd hoped. When my wife gets home tonight I'll ask her to help me scan them for me here and post them.

I picked up a Universal Head for my 22LU. If anyone has other parts they are willing to take some measurements of once they get the prints when I finally get them scanned, that'd be great!

Daryl
MN

Here you go!
If anyone has these attachments and is able to take measurements to supplement these scans that'd be great for all of us.
If/when I tear down my newly acquired sub-head I'll do same.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• VN Diagrams.pdf
    13.6 MB · Views: 44
Back