VN Dividing Head Spindle Dimensions

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am thinking about trying to find a 4” 3 jaw chuck for my 7 1/2” VN Dividing Head.

Anybody possibly know what the backing plate diameter and thread size is for a chuck for the 7 1/2” DH? I haven’t been able to read the dimensions on the on-line VN pubs. Fine print to distorted to make out....

Edit: Random searching on google, I came up with spindle size as 1.875”x12 TPI

Now all I need to do is find a chuck and backing plate with this odd dimension.

Thanks
Glenn

Last edited:
Buy a rough casting and make one to fit; to do the thread, you would need to make a thread plug gage to the thread size, measure the thread using a mike and thread wires and make the gage to that dimension and use it to tell when the thread is bored to size, it should fit with very little shake. It is advisable that the backplate be made of cast iron, so that it will not be in danger of galling on the dividing head's steel spindle.

Thanks benmychee. I think I may have a rough casting. Also, the cap over the threads is removable. It might be useful as a gauge.

Glenn

While it may be possible to use the thread protector as a gage to make the (male) plug gage, I think that using either thread wires or a thread mike would be a more accurate way to go about it.

Glenn are you also going to use collets on your 7 1/2? I too will be looking for a 4" - 3 jaw. But, I'm also considering regrinding the tube for MT 3 sized collets.

Back