VN Vn No 10 Mill On Ebay

Beautiful machine. But $3750 for a barebones frame. NO attachments, DRO, tooling, or even a vise. Wonder what these guys do with all this stuff.

Once the No10 VN hit Ebay and craiglists, I wanted the machine. Took roughly two week to get the machine to my house. Overall the machine moves in all directions but needs a good cleaning. Over the next few months, I plan to take it apart and inspect all components. The cross feed motor works and table traverses nicely. Haven't tried the drive motor. Overall in decent shape for its age.

IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1284.JPG

Looks great!
The dog as well.

Please keep us updated.

Daryl
MN

Yes, congrats! Nice looking machine. Is that a drilling attachment in one of the photos??

Are you talking about the last photo? If so, it is the support arm for the horizontal position. Took about 15 minutes to work it out by pushing back and forth and sanding down the grime/rust. Hopefully this weekend I can tear it down farther.

Picked up the rest of the tools from the owner. Glad to see the horizontal arbor but little disappointed there is not enough collets. Although the collets I have are probably sufficient for now.

van norman.jpg

On Saturday, after the big car show in town, I was able to spend a few hours disassembling the machine. Overall, it was not too hard to pull apart with the only screws giving me trouble were on the knee (which you can see I had to pull straight up in order to remove). I am missing one or two bolts here and there.

Once my brass brushes arrive, I will begin cleaning all the ways to remove the contamination. Haven't decided how far I want to restore the machine appearance wise because I do like the blue color but oil clings to the paint. Over the next few weeks, maybe months, I will slowly recondition the machine so one day it can resume machining. Very excited about the whole process and will keep you updated.

IMG_0832.jpg IMG_0835.jpg IMG_0837.jpg IMG_0849.jpg IMG_0859.jpg IMG_0860.jpg IMG_0866.jpg IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0868.jpg IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0873.jpg

Over the weekend and even tonight, the disassembly has continued. Since the paint in several areas is chipped, flaking, and surface rust has popped up I wanted to strip the color off and start with a fresh coat. The base took the longest to remove while I soaked the knee dovetail in evaporust. You can see in one of ht pictures the condition of the knee ways due to sitting outside for a long period of time. Who ever worked on the machine last did subpar job with mounting the motors, using castle nuts as spacers for the belt drive pulleys, slop in bearings for feed driveshaft, and overall neglected the machine.

The good parts are the lead screw has minimal wear, the ways are not horrible, all the nuts, set screw, and bolts have been trouble free so far. I like my tools looking clean and functioning properly. I truly enjoy how simple the No 10 machine was built. The plan is to rebuild the lower half and assemble it then move onto the actual top portion of the cutter head and gear box.

IMG_0927.jpg IMG_0929.jpg IMG_0930.jpg IMG_0933.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0942.jpg IMG_0950.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0954.jpg IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0962.jpg IMG_0965.jpg

Back