VN12 Milling Head

Shopsweeper

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am looking for a replacement milling head for my Van Norman Model 12. I am not looking for a Sub-head here. This mill needs to start making chips or yield up its floor space to one who will.

My VN12 came to me partly ground out for R8 - maybe? It had an R8 collet in it at least - with huge runout. I either need to find a spindle or a head to replace it.

I found one in 2013 for $1400 but that is a lot more than I paid for the whole mill.

Thank you for looking.

I can't look back at your other posts here, like other forums, so forgive me if you have answered this. Have you tried the Van Norman collet in it? Or asked if anyone here, can finish grinding your spindle to accept an R8 collet?

I would that it were the normal VN collet. I think it started life that way and someone partly modified. The small bevel is largely VN but everything past 3/4" in is wallered out badly. I actually have a full set of VN collets that I acquired before the mill in anticipation of using them.

If I tighten up a VN collet with my brass key it runs out about .010 but does a noisey dance when the tool hits work - the top of the collet is not contained by the inside of the spindle.

That sucks. I was hoping it was just a wrong collet. I hope someone will come along, and point you in a direction.

Back