VN VN12 Overarm Bar Won't Budge

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Been soaking that thing for months. I keep filling the wedge lock holes with penetrating oil.
Also using a chain style vise grip on the end trying to turn it.
Tried banging on the end, but split the wood block with a mallet - still no luck.
The head is off the base, strapped to a dolly.

Any ideas for how to break it loose?
Suggestions appreciated.

Try giving a little heat but don't overdo it, maybe set up some quartz heaters and let 'em go for a couple days
Keep adding liquid penetrant and gentle hammering (with wood blocks)
Like Cal did in post #14

Last edited:
I've been thinking about how to rig up a bottle jack, but I don't have any heavy steel handy. Been trying to figure out how to restrain the base so that I don't damage the casting.

Easy with the hammer - got it.

I tried some heat cycles on the bar without any luck yet (small propane torch), but some heat on the outside of the upper casting is a better idea. With my junk collection in the garage and all the penetrating oil I think best to roll the dolly outside before I give the heater a try.

Thanks for the ideas.

Here is what NOT to do.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=87314&hilit=stuck+overarm
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...metal-composition-overarm-issue-255329-print/

DON'T do what he did!

Here is how he got it out:

"In any event, my friend from online, Jim B., came over and picked up the ram casting, his daughter welded a bolt to the overarm support bar, and they used some allthread with washer stops to pull the bar out of the casting after first soaking it in Kroil for 2 days, and grinding down the mushroomed tips and the gouges from my using a pipe wrench and mini-sledge on it. According to Jim, it came out easily once it was soaked and the high spots ground down."

Last edited:
+1 on the Kroil ! I use it a lot.

First of all, be very patient and just keep soaking. It will come apart. I just went through this with an alternator bearing and shaft. Now with that said, I am not completely certain of your arrangement. But, here is what I did with my Bridgeport.

Ram-Turret Teardown-1.JPGRam-Turret Teardown-2.JPG

First of all, be very patient and just keep soaking. It will come apart. I just went through this with an alternator bearing and shaft. Now with that said, I am not completely certain of your arrangement. But, here is what I did with my Bridgeport.
Your uncluttered floor space is beautiful. I have just the opposite. Forget the flu that’s going around. I need help with toolaholic pile making disease…Dave.

Last edited:
Common problem with round bar and dovetail overarms. If there is no rust, problem is most likely dried or thickened oil. Worst thing to do is hit it! Thoroughly clean exposed ends of bar, soak for a few days with kerosene or diesel, the object is to get the stuff onto the bearing sufaces, squirt through oil holes, clamp slots, wherever it will do most good. I use a heavy duty ratchet strap from alternate ends to get it moving, the more it moves, the easier it gets. A word of CAUTION, an immovable overarm may suddenly let go without warning, they are heavy enough to cause serious damage to you and anything else in the way. Also be aware that some are a lot heavier than you would want to lift on your own.

Last edited:
Back