VN VN12 Overarm Bar Won't Budge

The front half of each of the locks came out without too much trouble, but the inside rear lock was the one still jammed up. I think I pushed it down away from the bar but it isn't going to come out easy - it appeared to tighten up as it went back.

It didn't move much, so I have to double check to make sure there's a gap in there before I try to move the bar. Maybe best to put both sides of the lock back in and try to work it forward and back a few times.

Can't mess with it until next weekend though, busy week coming fast.

Thanks again for all the help.
TomKro

The front half of each of the locks came out without too much trouble, but the inside rear lock was the one still jammed up. I think I pushed it down away from the bar but it isn't going to come out easy - it appeared to tighten up as it went back.

It didn't move much, so I have to double check to make sure there's a gap in there before I try to move the bar. Maybe best to put both sides of the lock back in and try to work it forward and back a few times.
Keep putting penetrant on it and trying it every time you have a chance. Tap it down with a brass drift, then draw it back up using the front half of the cotter, that way you can tell if it's moving. Make sure you clean the front half of the cotter and the bore so that it moves without too much resistance. If you keep applying penetrant and working it, it will eventually loosen up. It might take a month for it to loosen up completely. Patience is the key here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patience is the key here.
+1 on the patience. It took many years to get that stuck. It will take some time and effort to loosen it up. Cast iron is brittle, and difficult to replace on old machines. Take your time, go easy, and it will eventually loosen.

I improvised a slide hammer out of 1 of my drawbars to loosen mine up. This was after many applications of PB Blaster & rapping it with a rubber mallet to free it up. These days, I take time not only to slide that rod in & out a bit as often as I can but to also keep it lubricated as well. Gotta keep it free.

20170407 059.jpg

+1, I also keep the overarm bar lightly oiled, and I move it in and out also, whenever I think of it. I put a couple of drops of oil into each of the locks when they are not in use- the rust seems to occur there, and that seems to be the culprit as far as locking it tight.

I wonder if some of that Permatex "anti-sieze" (aluminum powder in a grease base) would be good to prevent that kind of problem?
Mark

Back